- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
I am a Consultant Clinical Oncologist specialising in the treatment of Urological and Colorectal cancers. I provide treatment with intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) and brachytherapy as well as systemic therapies such as chemotherapy, targeted therapies and hormone treatment.
Areas of interest
Prostate Cancer; Bladder Cancer; Colorectal Cancer; Prostate Brachytherapy; Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy
Current NHS consultant posts held
I am a Consultant Clinical Oncologist working at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford. I also provide outreach services to Ashford and St Peter's Hospitals.
My research has been focused on image guided radiotherapy with the intention on improving cure rates whilst minimising side effects from pelvic radiotherapy. I also have a special research interest in the role of brachytherapy in pelvic malignancies.
Patricia McGregor Travel Fellowships Fund 2012
ESTRO 37 Junior Brachytherapy Travel Grant 2018
ESTRO 38 Junior Brachytherapy Travel Grant 2019
Keith Durrant Memorial Fellowship, RCR 2019
For an up-to-date list of publications please see https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sophie_Otter
1. Otter S, Ring, A. Outcomes following adjuvant therapy for HER2-positive early breast cancer in the elderly. Expert Rev. Anticancer Ther. 10(8), 1265-1272 (2010)
2. Otter S, Schick U, Gulliford S, Lal P, Franceschini D, Newbold K, Nutting C, Harrington, K, Bhide, S. Evaluation of the Risk of Grade 3 Oral and Pharyngeal Dysphagia Using Atlas-Based Method and Multivariate Analyses of Individual Patient Dose Distributions. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1;93(3):507-15 (2015).
3. Otter S, Franklin A, Ajaz M, Stewart A. Improving the efficiency of image guided brachytherapy in cervical cancer." J Contemp Brachytherapy. 8(6): 557-565 (2016).
4. Otter S, Coates A, Franklin A, et al: Improving dose delivery by adding interstitial catheters to fixed geometry applicators in high-dose-rate brachytherapy for cervical cancer. Brachytherapy, 2018
5. Otter S, Chong I, Kalaitzaki R, Tait D. Which patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer treated with induction chemotherapy are most likely to benefit from post-induction chemoradiotherapy? Int J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis 2018;
6. Otter S, Whittaker S, Chatterjee J, Stewart A. The Human Papillomavirus as a Common Pathogen in Head and Neck, Cervical and Anal Cancers. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 31:81-90, 2019
7. Otter S, Chatterjee J, Stewart A, Micheal A. The Role of Biomarkers for the Prediction of Response to Checkpoint Immunotherapy and the Rationale for the Use of Checkpoint Immunotherapy in Cervical Cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 31:834-843.
8. Otter S, Stewart A, Devlin P. Modern Brachytherapy. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. Dec;33(6):1011-1025, 2019
1. Otter S, Holloway, C, Devlin P, Stewart A. Clinical Applications of Brachytherapy-Low Dose Rate and Pulse Dose Rate (chapter 26). Perez & Bradyâ€™s Principles and Practice of Radiation Oncology. 7th edition. 2019
2. Otter S, Holloway C, Oâ€™Farrell D, Devlin D, Stewart A. Brachytherapy (chapter 20). Clinical Radiation Oncology. Gunderson and Tepper. 5th edition.
- MBBChir (Medical degree) University of Cambridge 2004
- B.A.(Hons) Medicine University of Cambridge 2002
- MA Medicine University of Cambridge 2006
- MSc Oncology (Distinction) University of London 2014
- MD (Res) University of Surrey 2019
- MRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians 2008
- FRCR Royal College of Radiologists 2012
Reference number 6113504
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Advisory editor Clinical Oncology (journal associated with RCR) 2020
Details of entry to specialist register
- Completion of Specialist Training Clinical Oncology , 2019
Affiliations / memberships
- Stirling RoadSurrey Research ParkGUILDFORDGU2 7RF
- 17:00 - 19:00
- 01483 331256
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Clinical supervision and planning for the delivery of chemotherapy and/or systemic anti-cancer therapy for 1-28 days - (5-50)
Clinical supervision and planning for the delivery of chemotherapy and/or systemic anti-cancer therapy for 0-7 days - (5-50)
Insertion of low dose rate radioactive agent (brachytherapy) into prostate tumour - (1-5)
Clinical supervision of external beam radiotherapy, up to and including 15 fractions or part thereof - (1-5)
Preparation for complex radiotherapy with Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) - (1-5)
- Show All (7 )...