- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
I have been a consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist in Southampton since 2014.
I completed a 2 ½ year fellowship in advanced laparoscopic surgery for the excision of benign gynaecological disease after securing one of the five training posts offered annually in the UK.
I have been awarded a PhD on investigating the role of Insulin-like Growth Factors in the pathogenesis of endometriosis.
I perform advanced laparoscopic surgery and operative hysteroscopy and my main interests are Minimal Access Surgery and treatment to endometriosis, pelvic pain and menstrual disorders. My other interests are colposcopy, management of abnormal smears and vulval skin disorders.
Areas of interest
Endometriosis / Endoscopic procedures / Laparoscopic surgery (Key hole) / Menstrual disorders / Heavy periods / Painful periods / Painful sex / Hysterectomy / Fibroids / Myomectomy / Ovarian cyst / Colposcopy / Management of abnormal smears / Vulval skin disorders / Postmenopausal bleeding
- Suzi Heal
- Gynaechoice Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital Winchester Road Chandler's Ford Eastleigh SO53 2DW
- 023 8027 3142
- 023 8026 7029
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Sarah Hughes Not Fee Assured
- Dr Samar Al-Rawi Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist at the Princess Anne Hospital in Southampton
I am currently involved in research by contributing in the recruitment of multicenter UK studies.
1. PhD in Medicine - Medical School, University of Athens, Greece
Title: “The role of IGF in endometriosis”
Distinction: Excellent (January 2010)
My research demonstrated for the first time that MGF is expressed in endometriotic tissue and human endometrium and the findings were published in peer reviewed journals.
2. Local primary investigator in Southampton for the REGAL multicenter randomized controlled trial for the management of women with endometriosis.
This is an ongoing trial.
3. I am involved in the recruitment of patients for the DIAMOND and ESPRiT2 multicenter randomized controlled trial for the management of women with chronic endometriosis. These are ongoing trials.
4. Local primary investigator in Southampton for the HEALTH multicenter randomized controlled trial for the management of women with menorrhagia. Recruitment was closed in February 2017.
My hobbies include running, rock climbing, water sports and reading books. I enjoy spending time with my wife and two children and going for relaxing walks in the countryside.
• BSGE Travelling fellowship award
BSGE, March 2022
I was awarded a sponsorship to visit Professor Horace Roman in the Tivoli Centre of Endometriosis in Bordeaux, France for 2 weeks. This is one of the most prestigious centers for the management of severe endometriosis.
• Clinical Excellence Award
University Hospitals Southampton, April 2018
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Greek, Modern - Native or bilingual
- French - Basic
1. Umranikar S, Clark TJ, Saridogan E, Miligkos D, Arambage K, Torbe E, Campo R, Di Spiezio Sardo A, Tanos V, Grimbizis G, BSGE/ESGE Guideline Development Group.
BSGE/ESGE guideline on management of fluid distension in operative hysteroscopy.
Gynecol Surg 2016;13:289-303.
2. Saraswat L, Ayansina DT, Cooper KG, Bhattacharya S, Miligkos D, Horne AW, Bhattacharya S.
Pregnancy outcomes in women with endometriosis: a national record linkage study.
BJOG 2016, Feb 16. Doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.13920 [Epub ahead of print].
3. Siristatidis CS, Miligkos DS, et al.
Constructing a protocol for the evaluation of residents’ competency with office hysteroscopy.
Gynecol Surg 2013;10:193-7.
4. Miligkos DS, Louden K, et al.
Uterine artery pseudoaneurysm following laparoscopic hysterectomy. An unusual cause of delayed heavy vaginal bleeding.
Gynecol Surg 2013;10:223-5.
5. Miligkos DS, Philipou A, et al.
Insulinlike growth factor – 1Ec (MGF) expression in eutopic and ectopic endometrium: characterization of the MGF E-peptide actions in vitro. Mol Med 2011;17:21-8.
6. Miligkos DS, Harry VN, Cruickshank ME.
The clinically suspicious cervix – how often is it cancer?
J Low Genit Tract Dis 2010;14:196-9.
7. Miligkos DS, Bhattacharya S.
Single embryo transfer.
Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine 2009;19:229-31.
8. Miligkos DS, Mathur M, et al.
Manual Vacuum Aspiration: A safe alternative for the surgical management of early pregnancy loss.
Courses offered to GPs
Endometriosis, Pelvic pain, Menstrual disorders, Vulval skin disorders
- PhD in Medicine University of Athens, Greece 2009
- MRCOG Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2010
Reference number 6113710
Affiliations / memberships
British Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy (BSGE)
European Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy (ESGE)
British Society of Cervical Cytology and Pathology (BSCCP)
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Laparoscopic excision of endometriosis, +/-ureterolysis - (1-5)
Colposcopy (+/- biopsy, polypectomy or vulvoscopy) - (1-5)
Excision of lesion of vulva - (1-5)
Excision of lesion of vagina (e.g. warts and cysts) - (1-5)
Laparoscopy and therapeutic procedures (including laser, diathermy and destruction e.g. endometriosis, adhesiolysis, tubal and ovarian surgery, +/-ureterolysis) - (1-5)
- Show All (10 )...