- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Not in Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
Miss Gill qualified from University College Hospital, London in1997. After completing junior surgical training Miss Gill was successful in securing a Specialist registrar post within the South West Thames training rotation.
During this time She developed an interest in lower limb arthroplasty, working with many of the regions top arthroplasty surgeons before being awarded the FRCS (Tr&Orth) exam from the Royal College of Surgeons of England, London in 2009.
Miss Gill was offered a prestigious fellowship with the world renowned Hip Unit at the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre (PEOC), Exeter in 2011. During her year in Exeter she worked closely with their world class surgeons gaining experience in not only primary hip replacement surgery but revision hip surgery too, completing research projects during this year, the results of which have subsequently been published in peer-reviewed journals.
In 2012 a further year of fellowship training in knee arthroplasty was completed, working closely with Mr. Neil Bradley in Guildford.
In 2014, after a year as a locum consultant, Miss Gill was appointed as a consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery at The Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford where she performs a high volume of hip and knee replacement procedures with excellent published outcomes.
Miss Gill is passionate about patient outcomes and experience and has developed a fastrack arthroplasty pathway, empowering patients to work with her multi-disciplinary team to achieve rapid discharge home after their joint replacement surgery, with excellent clinical results and patient feedback.
Part of any evidence based approach to patient care involves the governance and implementation of the most up to date national policies and protocols. Miss Gill sits on various committees to ensure these high standards are met at the Royal Surrey and is involved with a national quality improvement programme looking to introduce practices to help further lower the incidence of infections after joint replacement surgery.
Miss Gill sits on a British Hip Society board whose aim is to review and improve diversity and culture within the orthopaedic surgical specialty.
Training surgeons and doctors of the future is an important role that Miss Gill enjoys. Part of this role includes being the lead consultant for medical students from St Georges and Southampton medical schools who join the orthopaedic department at the Royal Surrey for clinical placements. Miss Gill organises their clinical and teaching schedules mentoring and teaching the students for the 6-8 weeks that they are in the department.
Areas of interest
knee arthroscopy;total hip replacement;total knee replacement;trauma;hip pain;knee pain;knee injection; hip injection; meniscal (cartilage) tears; osteoarthritis;hip;knee
- The Guildford Hip and knee clinic Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital Stirling Road Surrey Research Park Guildford GU2 7RF
- 01483 555816
- 07464 689928
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Claire Edkins Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Consultant, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford
daycase hip and knee replacement, fast track joint replacement
Peer-reviewed original articles
1. Gill K, Whitehouse S,Hubble MJW, Wilson MJ. Short-term results with a constrained acetabular liner in patients at high risk of dislocation after primary total hip arthroplasty. Hip Int 2016;26(6)580-584
2. Shafafy R, McClatchie W, Chettiar K, Gill K, Hargrove R, Sturridge S,
Guyot A. Use of leucocyte esterase reagent strips in the diagnosis or exclusion of prosthetic joint infection. Bone Joint J 2015;97-B:1232-6
3. Gill K, Whitehouse S, Wilson M, Timperley AJ. Results using Trabecular Metal™ augments in combination with acetabular impaction bone grafting in deficient acetabula. Hip Int 2013;23-6:522-8.
4. Trompeter AJ, Gill K, Appleton MA, Palmer SH. Anterior cruciate ligament integrity in patients with osteoarthritis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc: vol 17 Issue 6 (2009) p595
5. Gill I, Gill K, Jayasekera N. Miller AJ. Medium term results of the Collum Femoris Preserving Hydroxyapatite coated Total Hip Replacement. Hip Int. 2008 Apr-Jun; 18(2): 75-80.
6. Baker RHJ, Gill K, Davey PA. A simple way of reducing neurovascular complications in open carpal tunnel decompression. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 Apr; 121(4): 224e-5e
7. Neilsen D, Gill K, Ricketts D.Satisfaction levels in orthopaedic outpatients. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2005; 87:106-108
8. Gill K, Black S A, Corbett CRR Misleading mortality data in league tables. Ann R Coll Surg Engl (Suppl) 2003; 85:244-247
Peer-reviewed abstracts, letters and articles
1. Shafafy R, Jordan S, Gill K. Trethowan retractor technique to aid supination of the wrist during distal radius fracture fixation. The Annals of The Royal College of Surgeons of England, 98(7), p. 201253 (Sept 2016)
2. Edge J, Gill K, Palmer SH. A randomised prospective trial to compare two designs of hydroxyapatite coated femoral stems for total hip replacement-what shape of stem is best? J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 2010; 92-B: SUPP I
3. Norris M, Gill K, Karadaglis D, Chauhan S. The Envelope of Laxity and balancing of total knee replacements using navigation. J Bone Joint Surgery (Br) 2009; 91-B SUPP III, 426
4. Gill KE, Edge J. A randomised prospective trial to compare two designs of hydroxyapatite coated femoral stems for total hip replacement J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 2009; 91-B: SUPP I
5. Trompeter A.J, Gill K, Mobasheri R, Agarwala SN, Appleton MAC, Palmer SH. Predicting anterior cruciate ligament integrity in patients with osteoarthritis. J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 2008; 90-B: SUPP III
Courses offered to GPs
frequent Talks and seminars arranged by BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital and the Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital. Lunchtime talks at GP practices can also be arranged upon request.
Reference number 4422899
Affiliations / memberships
British Orthopaedic Association
British Hip Society
British Medical Association
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.