- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Hand & Wrist
- Shoulder & Elbow
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Joby George Malal has a clinical practise dedicated to diagnosing and treating problems of the upper limb (Shoulder, Elbow and Hands). He underwent higher surgical training at the Mersey (Liverpool) Deanery gaining his CCT (Specialist Accreditation) in 2012. He acquired further subspecialist knowledge and expertise in his field by undertaking fellowship training at the world renowned Liverpool Upper Limb Unit before being appointed as a Consultant Upper Limb Surgeon in 2013. He believes in a holistic approach to treating patients under his care and ensures an unhurried consultation, giving adequate time to discuss the problem at hand and consider various treatment options available. Where appropriate, he uses the most advanced, minimally invasive and evidence based surgical techniques to treat musculoskeletal problems ensuring the best possible results. He is also an experienced joint replacement surgeon. A team of specialist anaesthetists and therapists work with him, ensuring a speedy return to function and normal life.
Areas of interest
Arthroscopic Shoulder and Elbow Surgery;
Shoulder joint replacement; Reverse Polarity Shoulder Replacements;
Superior Capsular Reconstruction;
Elbow joint replacement;
Shoulder impingement syndromes;
Shoulder sub acromial decompression;
Acromio Clavicular joint arthritis;
Rotator cuff disorders;
Sports injuries of shoulder and elbow;
Elbow arthroscopic surgery;
Complex upper limb fractures, including arthroplasty for trauma;
Tendonitis and nerve entrapment syndromes of upper limb;
Hand and wrist ganglion surgery;
Dupuytrenâ€™s contracture of hand;
Hand and wrist arthritis;
Hand and finger joint replacement surgery;
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome;
Hand and wrist tendon inflammation;
- Medserv - FOR EXCESS PAYMENTS AND BILLING QUERIES
- Ground Floor Rockwood House 9-17 Perrymount Road Haywards Heath RH16 3TW
- 020 3384 195
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Patrik Kontina Fee Assured
- Dr Jamie Strachan Fee Assured
- Dr Ravi Shankar Not Fee Assured
- Dr Navreet Ghuman Fee Assured
- Top Doctors
- Spire Harpenden Hospital
- The Manor Hospital
- Patient feedback
- Saxon Clinic
- Bedford General Hospital
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon (Shoulder/ Elbow/ Hand),
Bedford Hospital NHS Trust,
Arthroscopic capsular release for frozen shoulder
Reverse shoulder arthroplasty
Arthroscopic sub acromial decompression
Shoulder resurfacing arthroplasty
Gold Medallist in Orthopaedic Surgery
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Malayalam - Fluent
- Tamil - Basic
1. Long Contoured Locking Plate Fixation of Traumatic Proximal Humeral Fractures with Distal Extension.
J J George Malal, A I W Mayne, F Arouri, A M Noorani, M Kent, M Smith, I Guisasola, P Brownson.
Shoulder and Elbow 2015;7(1):18-23.
2. Superior Labral Anterior Posterior lesions of the Shoulder.
Malal JJ, Khan Y, Farrar G, Waseem M.
Open Orthop J. 2013;7:356-60.
3. An over view of shoulder instability and its management.
Farrar NG, Malal JJ, Fischer J, Waseem M.
Open Orthop J. 2013;7:338-46.
4. Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty â€“ A literature review
Mahmood A, Malal JJ, Waseem M.
Open Orthop J. 2013;7:366-72.
5. The painful shoulder: shoulder impingement syndrome.
Khan Y, Nagy MT, Malal J, Waseem M.
Open Orthop J. 2013;7:347-51.
6. Proximal Humeral Fractures: a review of current concepts.
Widnall JC, Dheerendra SK, Malal JJ, Waseem M.
Open Orthop J. 2013;7:361-5.
7. Outcomes of open sub acromial decompression after failed arthroscopic acromioplasty.
A Pillai, V Eranki, JJG Malal, G Nimon.
ISRN Surg. 2012;2012:806843.
8. A cadaveric study of blood supply to the first metatarsal head and vessels at risk with a chevron osteotomy.
JJG Malal, J Shaw-Dunn, CS Kumar
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:2018-22.
9. Tarsal joint fusion using memory compression staples â€“ a study of ten cases.
JJG Malal, G Hegde and RD Ferdinand
Courses offered to GPs
1. Upper limb injections course.
2. Update on Shoulder conditions and their management
3. Nerve entrapment syndromes of upper limb
4. Superior Capsular Reconstruction for irreparable rotator cuff tears
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.phin.org.uk/consultant/mr-joby-george-malal?hid=205444&url=https:~2F~2Fwww.phin.org.uk~2Fconsultant-search-result~2FBedford,%2520UK%3FprocedureGroupId%3D0%26lat%3D52.1386394%26lng%3D-0.4667782%26maxDistance%3D50
- FRCS (Trauma & Orthopaedics) Royal College of Surgeons 2010
- Fellowship in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen Hospitals 2012
Reference number 6056139
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chairman of Medical Staff Committee Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS FT 2020
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of Completion of Training (Trauma & Orthopaedics) , 2012
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons
British Medical Association
British Orthopaedic Association
British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- Bedford Hospital, Kempston Road, BEDFORD, MK42 9DJ
- 09:00 - 17:30
- 01234 730592
- BMI Saxon Clinic
- 14:00 - 20:00
- 0333 012 4051
- Bridges Clinic Bridge House Bedford Hospital...
- 08:30 - 11:30
- 01234 730592
- Spire Harpenden, Ambrose Lane, HARPENDEN, AL5 4BP
- 14:00 - 20:30
- 01582 714302
- The Manor Hospital, Biddenham, BEDFORD, MK40 4AW
- 14:00 - 20:30
- 01234 369043
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
0333 012 4051
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Injection(s) +/- aspiration, into joint, cyst, bursa with image guidance - unilateral - (5-50)
Arthroscopic subacromial decompression and excision of distal clavicle (including arthroscopic procedures in glenohumeral joint) - (5-50)
Open release of constriction of sheath of tendon (e.g. trigger finger) - (5-50)
Arthroscopic arthrolysis of shoulder contracture +/- manipulation/injection - (5-50)
Carpal tunnel release (open) - (5-50)
- Show All (25 )...