- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Lower GI surgery
Mr Chetan Bhan is a fully trained Laparoscopic Colorectal surgeon specialising in colorectal cancer and complex Inflammatory Bowel Disease. In particular Mr Bhan is a high volume colorectal cancer surgeon especially rectal cancer.
Currently, Mr Bhan is the North Central London Colorectal Cancer Lead and also lead the reorganisation of colorectal cancer services during the COVID 19 pandemic to ensure patients with colorectal cancer were not harmed. and were operated on in a safe COVID protected pathway at The Princess Grace Hospital.
He performs totally Laparoscopic Ileonanal Pouch surgery as well as Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery (SILS) also known as Virtually scarless surgery for patients requiring colon or rectal resections for cancer, diverticular disease or inflammatory bowel disease. Mr Bhan also treats patients with common anorectal disorders such as haemorrhoids, anal fistula and fissures. In addition, he manages all forms of abdominal wall hernia using both open and laparoscopic techniques, as well as complex abdominal wall reconstruction for patients with massive incisional hernia or enterocutaneous fistula.
Mr Bhan attended the United Medical and Dental School's of Guy's and St Thomas' qualifying in 1998. His surgical training has been in London and the South East with specialist colorectal training at The Royal London Hospital and advanced training as an International Colorectal Fellow In Sydney Australia.
Areas of interest
Abdominal pain; diarrhoea; constipation; faecal incontinence; Haemorrhoids (banding & haemorrhoidectomy, Rafaelo procedure); Rectal bleeding; fistula surgery & treatment; Colonoscopy & polypectomy; sigmoidoscopy; botox for anal fissure; inguinal hernia; umbilical hernia; abdominal wall hernia; gallstones; laparoscopic cholecystectomy; colorectal cancer; colectomy & hemicolectomy; anterior resection; rectal resection: pilonidal sinus repair; appendicectomy; colostomy; ileostomy; crohns disease; ulcerative colitis; parastomal hernia
- Shera Pourdud
- Cleveland Clinic London 23 Grosvenor Place London SW1X 7HY
- 020 3423 7054
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Peter Amoroso Not Fee Assured
- Dr Charles Thoburn Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Colorectal Surgeon University College London Hospitals
Clinical Director Surgery and Cancer Whittington Hospital
Consultant Colorectal Surgeon and Colorectal Cancer Lead Whittington Hospital
Surgical Outcomes research. I am currently one of the Principle Investigators for the national Perioperative Quality Improvement Programme (PQUIP). I also undertake clinical research and am published in advanced colorectal cancer and pelvic floor disorders.
I live in North West London with my wife, who is a gastroenterologist and our three kids. We like to enjoy things as a family including travelling and cycling.
Surgical Fellowship Prize Worshipful Company of Cutlers 2011
1. Renshaw S, Silva IL, Hotouras A, Wexner SD, Murphy J, Bhan C Perioperative outcomes and adverse events of robotic colorectal resections for inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic literature review. Tech Coloproctol. 2018 Mar 15. doi: 10.1007/s10151-018-1766-5. PMID: 29546470
2. Silva IL, Iskandarani M, Hotouras A, Murphy J, Bhan C, Adada B, Wexner SD. A systematic review to assess the management of patients with cerebral metastases secondary to colorectal cancer. Tech Coloproctol. 2017 Nov;21(11):847-852. doi: 10.1007/s10151-017-1707-8.
3. 2015 European Society of Coloproctology collaborating group. Risk factors for unfavourable postoperative outcome in patients with Crohn's disease undergoing right hemicolectomy or ileocaecal resection An international audit by ESCP and S-ECCO. Colorectal Dis. 2017 Sep 15. doi: 10.1111/codi.13889. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28913968.
4. Haddow JB, Walshe M, Aggarwal D, Thapar A, Hardman J, Wilson J, Oshowo A, Bhan C, Mukhtar H. Improving the diagnostic stage of the suspected colorectal cancer pathway: A quality improvement project. Healthc (Amst). 2016 Sep;4(3):225-34. doi: 10.1016/j.hjdsi.2015.09.004. Epub 2015 Sep 28. PubMed PMID: 27637830.
5. Hotouras A, Ribas Y, Zakeri SA, Nunes QM, Murphy J, Bhan C, Wexner SD. The influence of obesity and body mass index on the outcome of laparoscopic colorectal surgery: a systematic literature review. Colorectal Dis. 2016Oct;18(10):O337-O366. doi: 10.1111/codi.13406. Review. PubMed PMID: 27254110.
6. Misky A, Hotouras A, Ribas Y, Ramar S, Bhan C. A systematic literature review on the use of vacuum assisted closure for enterocutaneous fistula. Colorectal Dis. 2016 Sep;18(9):846-51. doi: 10.1111/codi.13351. Review. PubMed PMID: 27088556.
7. Hotouras A, Desai D, Bhan C, Murphy J, Lampe B, Sugarbaker PH. Heated
IntraPEritoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) for Patients With Recurrent Ovarian Cancer: A Systematic Literature Review. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2016 May;26(4):661-70. doi: 10.1097/IGC.0000000000000664. Review. PubMed PMID: 26844612.
8. Yongue G, Hotouras A, Murphy J, Mukhtar H, Bhan C, Chan CL. The diagnostic yield of preoperative staging computed tomography of the thorax in colorectal cancer patients without hepatic metastases. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015 Apr;27(4):467-70. doi: 10.1097/MEG.0000000000000315. PubMed PMID: 25874523.
- FRCS (Gen Surgery) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2011
- MSc Surgery University of Kent 2010
- MBBS UMDS, University of London 1998
- International Colorectal Fellow Concord Repatriation General Hospital, Sydney Australia 2011
Reference number 4477923
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Clinical Lead International Surgical Training Programme Royal College of Surgeons of England 2017
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Surgery , 2011
Affiliations / memberships
British Medical Association
Association of Coloproctologists Great Britain and Ireland (ACPGBI)
- 17-19 View RoadLONDONN6 4DJ
- 17:00 - 19:00
- 020 3841 0822
- 41-43 Welbeck StreetLondonW1G 8DU
- 17:00 - 19:30
- 020 3841 0822
- Wellington PlaceSt Johns WoodLONDONNW8 9LE
- 09:00 - 11:00
- 020 3841 0822
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please contact the hospital in which treatment was undertaken
Wellington Hospital 02074835024
Highgate Hospital 02083473881
Princess Grace Hospital
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Extended excision of right hemicolon - (1-5)
Reversal of hartmann's procedure - (1-5)
Proctoscopy (+/- biopsy) - (1-5)
Haemorrhoidectomy (including sigmoidoscopy) - (1-5)
Diagnostic colonoscopy, includes forceps biopsy of colon and ileum - (1-5)
- Show All (14 )...