- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Sexual and reproductive healthcare
- Video and telephone consultations
Having been raised in Devon, I was delighted to return in 2009 to take up my consultant post at the Royal Devon and Exeter. I studied medicine in Leicester where I graduated in 1996. Having completed my Obs and Gynae postgraduate training in Bristol my family and I spent 3 years in Nottingham where I took a lecturer post.
In my practice I take pride in listening to patients concerns and giving them a professional opinion regarding their concerns. I perform my own high level pelvic scans in the clinic and am therefore able to provide an accurate and prompt assessment of patients complaints .Follow up is tailored to patients needs. Surgery if required can commonly be carried out within a few weeks. I also provide an email advice service for patients who I have seen in the clinic.
Areas of interest
Minimal access (keyhole) surgery; Specialising in endometriosis care; This includes high level ultrasound scanning to identify evidence or absence of deep endometriosis which can avoid the need for a laparoscopy. I am the lead for the Exeter Endometriosis centre accredited by the BSGE. I carry out advanced laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis; Pelvic pain and menstrual disorders; I am the only private gynaecologist in Exeter providing laparoscopic hysterectomy.
- Carolyn Richardson
- Nuffield Health Exeter Hospital Wonford Road EXETER EX2 4UG
- 01392 262132
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Graham Simpson Not Fee Assured
- Dr Mark O Daugherty Not Fee Assured
- Dr Alastair Martin Not Fee Assured
- Dr Nimalan Pathmanathan Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Trust
I enjoy spending time on my small holding in the Exe Valley with my family
Courses offered to GPs
I am happy to visit GP practices to give updates in O&G. I regularly give talks at locally organised update events. Please contact my secretary to arrange.
- Special Skills Modules in Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy Royal College Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2005
- FRCOG Royal College Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2004
- MB ChB Leicester 1996
- On site training in performing Laparoscopic Sacrohysteropexy Mr Alfred Cutner, University College London 2013
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery Mater Hospital Brisbane 2006
Reference number 4286198
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Invited Examiner for Royal College Obstetricians and Gynaecologists Royal College Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- Fellow of Royal College Obstetricians and Gynaecologists , 2006
Affiliations / memberships
British Society of Gynaecological Endoscopists
- Nuffield Health Exeter Hospital, EX2 4UG
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 01392 262132
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please telephone Nuffield Exeter 0139276591 and ask to speak to a nurse on the ward. They are available 24 hours a day. The nurse will contact me and I will phone you back.
I also offer an email advice service for all current private patients
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Laparoscopic total hysterectomy (+/- oophorectomy) +/- ureterolysis - (1-5)
Total abdominal hysterectomy (+/- oophorectomy) +/- ureterolysis - (1-5)
Laparoscopy (including e.g. puncture of ovarian cysts, +/- biopsy, minor endometriosis, +/-ureterolysis) - (1-5)
Hysteroscopy (including biopsy, dilatation, +/- cauterisation, curettage and resection of polyp(s) +/- Mirena coil insertion) - (1-5)
Vaginal hysterectomy with laparoscopic assistance +/- ureterolysis - (1-5)
- Show All (12 )...