- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Not in Open Referral network
- Vascular surgery
- Video and telephone consultations
Professor Stephen Black is one of the leading consultant vascular surgeons in London, Manchester, Ashtead and Thames Valley, specialising in varicose veins, varicose veins surgery, non-surgical treatment of varicose veins, endovascular surgery, endovenous laser ablation (EVLA).
Additionally he is expert in complex venous conditions such as pelvic congestion syndrome, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and May-Thurner syndrome. He is presently practising at the UK Vein Clinic.
Professor Black is currently surgical lead at St Thomas' Hospital, one of the largest centres of expertise in vascular medicine across the world. As professor of venous surgery, he has developed an international reputation for his expertise in complex venous medicine and contributes to the European guidelines and standards for venous surgery.
Professor Black has recently co-founded the UK Vein Clinic, exclusively dedicated to the treatment of varicose veins using modern, minimally invasive treatment methods that produce world class outcomes for patients suffering from this condition. The UK Vein Clinic provides treatment with Professor Black and his team from locations based in London's Harley Street, Maidenhead in Berkshire and central Manchester.
Professor Black is also a key surgeon at various clinics in the London area (including Harley Street Clinic, London and Ashtead Hospital, Surrey), and is the surgical lead at St Thomas' Hospital. He holds several prominent positions in various vascular surgery organizations, including being on the committee for the European Venous Forum Hands On Workshop (EVF HOW) and is a programme director for the annual Charing Cross Vascular Symposium - one of the largest meetings of its type in the world. He was awarded the fellowship of the European Board of Vascular Surgery in 2011.
Throughout his stellar career in vascular surgery, Professor Black has always been at the cutting edge of his field. After graduating from the University of the Witwatersrand Medical School in 1998, and working in South Africa for two years, Professor Black moved to the UK, where he completed a doctorate (MD) at St Mary's Hospital and Imperial College, London in 2006. His thesis was on the virtual reality-based training of surgeons to perform carotid surgery - research focused on improving the safety and efficiency of surgical training, and supervised by Mr John Wolfe and Lord Ara Darzi.
Areas of interest
Endovenous Surgery, Venous Surgery , Varicose Veins, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Deep Venous Reconstruction, Post Thrombotic Syndrome, May Thurners Syndrome, Nutcracker Syndrome.
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Andrejs Dombrovskis Fee Assured
- Ester Avagliano Fee Assured
- Dr Marcus Naef Not Fee Assured
- Dr Eoin Sherry Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Vascular Surgeon, Professor of Venous Surgery, Clinical Lead, Vascular Surgery, Guys and St Thomas' Hospital
Deep Venous Disease
Rugby, Cricket, Tennis
• Excellence in T Year Teaching, St George's Hospital (2012, 2013, 2014)
• Level 1 CEA award (2012)
• ASIT Prize, RSM surgery section, Registrar presentation day, December (2007)
• First Prize for patient safety research , ASE Conference Tuscon, US, (Presentation by C Wetzel) March (2006)
• Pouncey, A L. Kahn, T. Morris, R I. Shaha, P. Thulasidasan, N. Black, S A. Risk factors and classification of reintervention following deep venous stenting for acute iliofemoral deep vein, J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord . 2022 Mar 28;S2213-333X(22)00170-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jvsv.2022.03.006. (2022)
• Kishore, S. Khaja, M S, Black, S A. et. al. Antithrombotic Therapy After Venous Interventions: AJR Expert Panel Narrative Review AJR Am J Roentgenol , AJR Am J Roentgenol . 2022 Mar 30. doi: 10.2214/AJR.22.27413 (2022)
• Kakkos, S K. Gohel, M. Black, S A. et. al. European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS) 2021 Clinical Practice Guidelines on the Management of Venous Thrombosis, Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg . 2021 Jan;61(1):9-82. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2020.09.023. Epub 2020 Dec 15. (2021)
• Pouncey, A L. Black, S A. Re "The Continued Discussion on Mechanical Intervention in the Battle Against Deep Venous Thrombosis", Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg . 2021 Feb;61(2):344. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2020.11.047. Epub 2020 Dec 23. (2021)
• Morris, R I. Pouncey, A L. Black, S A. et. al, Quality of life outcomes for patients undergoing venous stenting for chronic deep venous disease, J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord . 2021 Sep;9(5):1185-1192.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.jvsv.2021.01.009. Epub 2021 Feb 1. (2021)
• Aherne, T. M. Keohane, C. Black S. A. et. al, DEep VEin Lesion OPtimisation (DEVELOP) trial: protocol for a randomised, assessor-blinded feasibility trial of iliac vein intervention for venous leg ulcers, Pilot Feasibility Stud . 2021 Feb 4;7(1):42. doi: 10.1186/s40814-021-00779-2. (2021)
• Kakkos, S K. Black, S A. Assessment and Interpretation of Common Iliac Vein Occlusive Pathology, Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg . 2020 Jul;60(1):126. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2020.03.013. Epub 2020 Apr 4. (2020)
• Morris, R I. Sobotka, P A. Black, S A. et. al, Iliocaval Venous Obstruction, Cardiac Preload Reserve and Exercise Limitation, J Cardiovasc Transl Res . 2020 Aug;13(4):531-539. doi: 10.1007/s12265-020-09963-w. Epub 2020 Feb 10 (2020)
• Kingdon, J. Gwozdz, A M. Black, S A. et. al, Device profile of the Vici venous stent for chronic iliofemoral venous obstruction recanalization: overview of its safety and efficacy, Expert Rev Med Devices . 2020 May;17(5):391-397. doi: 10.1080/17434440.2020.1748009. Epub 2020 Apr 21. (2020)
Courses offered to GPs
Wednesday evening open talks Ashtead Hospital (See Ashtead Website)
94.2% improvement in pain symptoms from varicose veins.
95% improvement in ankle swelling from varicose veins.
98.7% improvement in itching from varicose veins.
94% improved appearance of varicose veins.
93.6% improvement in quality of life (sports, hobbies, social life)
Data based on completed cases 2021-2022 at UK Vein Clinic
- Professor of Venous Surgery Kings College London 2020
- MD Imperial College, University of London 2006
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) University of the Witwatersrand Medical School 1998
- FRCS Fellowship, Royal College of Surgeons 2009
- FEBVS Fellowship, European Board of Vascular Surgery 2011
Reference number 4765765
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellowship European Board of Vascular Surgery 2020
- Fellowship Royal College of Surgeons of England 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- Stephen Black , 2010
Affiliations / memberships
MD, MBBCH, FRCS (Ed), FEBVS
- Ashtead Hospital, KT21 2SB
- 13:30 - 17:00
- 01372 277527
- Harley Street Clinic
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01372 277527
- UK Vein Clinic London
- 09:00 - 17:00
- 020 8187 3999
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy of varicose veins - bilateral - (5-50)
Radiofrequency ablation of more than one venous trunk +/- phlebectomies - bilateral - (5-50)
Ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy of varicose veins - unilateral - (5-50)
Radiofrequency ablation of more than one venous trunk +/- phlebectomies - unilateral - (5-50)
Venoplasty - (5-50)
Harley Street Clinic (1-5)
- Show All (9 )...