- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Not in Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
I have practiced orthopaedic surgery for last 28 years and have worked in Salisbury since 2008. During my training in the UK, I worked in the Spinal Surgical Units in Cardiff and Oswestry. I then worked for one year as a Spinal Fellow in the world renowned "Centre for Spinal Surgery and Research" in Nottingham. After that I undertook a Visiting Spinal Fellowship in Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland.
Currently I routinely performs various spinal injections and operations including lumbar decompression and disc surgery, cervical and lumbar fusion, disc replacement, motion preserving spinal surgery, fixation of spinal fractures and spinal injections. I have introduced minimally invasive spinal surgery in Salisbury as well as vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. I also undertake general orthopaedic and trauma surgery.
I have a keen interest in research and have published several papers in national and international journals.In 2013, I received the "Young Researcher Award" from the Cervical Spine Research Society in Utah, USA.
The Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust has given me the "Clinical Excellence Award" twice for outstanding service.
I was the Treasurer of the British Association of Spine Surgeons from 2013-16 and was the Head of Department of Trauma & Orthopaedics in Salisbury from 2014-16.
I live in a village near Salisbury, am actively involved in local community activities and support a number of charities including Stars Appeal, Horatio's Garden, World Wildlife Fund etc
Areas of interest
Current NHS consultant posts held
1. Salisbury District Hospital
2. New Hall Hospital
3. Duke of Cornwall Spinal Treatment Centre
I have a keen interest in research and have authored over 40 papers, presentations and publications. One of my papers was awarded “the J W Fielding Young Researcher Prize” ($1000) by the Cervical Spine Research Society in Utah, USA in 2009.
Cycling, Swimming, and trekking.
- J W Fielding Young Researcher Prize, USA, 2009.
- Centre for Spinal Studies Grant, Oswestry, UK, 2006..
- Zimmer Research Fund Grant, Newport, UK, May 2004.
-Howmedica National Fellowship in Arthroplasty, India, Aug- Oct 1995.
-Goa Medical College Travelling Fellowship, 1993.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Marathi (Marāṭhī) - Native or bilingual
- Hindi - Fluent
- Konkani - Fluent
- Sanskrit (Saṁskṛta) - Basic
- How accurate is partial weight bearing?Clinical Orthopaedic and Related Research. Vol 421, p 282-286, 2004.
- The effect of intravenous cannula length on the rate of flow of infusion. Injury Extra. Vol 37, No 1, p 41-45, 2006.
- Fifth metatarsal bone fracture: A simple classification. Foot Ankle Surg, Vol 13, No 1: p 30-34, 2007
- Objective functional assessment of total hip arthroplasty following two common surgical approaches- posterior and direct lateral.Journal of Engineering in Medicine. Vol 222, No 6, 2008
- Cauda Equina Syndrome- review of literature British Journal of Hospital Medicine. Vol 69, No 3, p 344- 347, 2008.
-Comparison of three types of osteotomy in ankylosing spondylitis- a case series and evolution of a safe technique for instrumented reduction. Eur Spine J. 2011 Dec; 20(12):2252-60
- Claustrophobia- a proxy for psychological distress in patients with back pain..J Spinal Disord Tech. 2012 Aug;25(6):318-23.
-Efficacy of exercise therapy for treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis- a review of literature. Eur Spine J. 2012 Mar; 21(3):382-9.
-The use of a 3.5 mm drill sleeve to harvest bone graft. Boyd RP, Avis DJ, Dabke HV. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2013 Oct;95(7):534.
- The furcal nerve revisited. Harshavardhana NS, Dabke HV. Orthop Rev (Pavia). 2014 Oct 1;6(3):5428.
- Risk factors for vertebral artery injuries in cervical spine trauma. Harshavardhana NS, Dabke HV. Orthop Rev (Pavia). 2014 Oct 1;6(3):5429.
- A new fixation technique for French Door Laminoplasty: Surgical Results with a minimum follow-up of 6 years. Harshavardhana NS, Dabke HV, Mehdian H. Clin Spine Surg 2017 May; 30(4):E331-337.
- The “three- legged stool”- a system for spinal informed consent. Powell JM, Rai A, Foy M, Casey A, Dabke H, Gibson A, Hutton M. Bone Joint J. 2016 Nov;98-B(11):1427-1430.
-A new fixation technique for French- Door Cervical Laminaplasty. Surgical results with minimum follow-up of 6 years. Harshavardhana NS, Dabke HV, Mehdian H. Clin Spine Surg. 2017 May;30(4):E331-E337.
Courses offered to GPs
- Management of back pain
- Osteoporotic spinal fractures
- Salisbury Spine Unit
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.phin.org.uk/
Dural Tears: 1-2% (primary), 4-5% (revision)
- MBBS Goa Medical College, India 1991
- MS Ortho Goa Medical Collge, India 1994
- FRCSG Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow 2001
- FRCS Tr & Orth Intercollegiate Board 2007
Reference number 4667575
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member British Orthopaedic Association 2002
- Member British Association of Spine Surgeons 2008
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist Orthopaedic Spinal Surgeon , 2008
Affiliations / memberships
- British Medical Association
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association of Spine Surgeons
- British Indian Orthopaedic Society
- New Hall Hospital
- 09:00 - 16:30
- 01722 435176
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.