- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Not in Open Referral network
- Stroke medicine
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Kwan has 25 years of clinical experience in stroke medicine, neurorehabilitation and internal medicine. He qualified from Bristol University (Medicine 1994), Southampton University (Masters 2000), Edinburgh University (Doctrate 2002), UCL Institute of Neurology at Queens Square (PG Certificate in Clinical Neurology with distinction 2006), Cornell University (Plant-based Nutrition 2015) and University of California San Francisco (Dementia Scholarship 2015).
Dr Kwan has been a stroke consultant since 2006, visiting professor of medicine at Bournemouth University (2009-20), medical director for regional stroke network (2008-10), and clinical associate professor at Hong Kong University (2014-18).
He is currently a senior stroke consultant at the Imperial Stroke Centre, where he is also the lead for original stroke research, quality improvement and medical education. He is the director of the Imperial Stroke Education Programme. He has published over 120 scientific articles and book chapters, and won several major awards.
At Cleveland Clinic London Hospital, Dr Kwan is a consultant in Neurorehabilitation Unit (level 2) and Acute Admission Unit (level 3), and his outpatient clinic on Friday afternoons. You can expect a personalised, bespoke and holistic approach to enhance your recovery using the latest medical advances, whilst empowering you through lifestyle and nutritional optimisation and fitness training to improve the well-being of your body, mind and spirit.
Outside of work, Dr Kwan enjoys healthy eating and fitness training, and engages in charitable work with Chelsea Football Club Foundation in promoting population health.
You can view the feedback from his patients on www.iwantgreatcare.org.
Areas of interest
Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA)/Mini-Stroke
Current NHS consultant posts held
Stroke Consultant, Charing Cross Hospital
Stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA), geriatric medicine
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Cantonese - Native or bilingual
- FESO European Stroke Organisation 2018
- FAHA American Heart / Stroke Association 2021
- FAHA American Heart Association 2021
- FRSPH Royal Society of Public Health 2017
- FHKAM (Medicine) Hong Kong Academy of Medicine 2016
- FHKCP Hong Kong College of Physicians 2016
- FRCP London RCP London 2010
- Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition Cornell University 2015
- FRCP Edin RCP Edinburgh 2009
- MD University of Edinburgh 2002
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Neurology with Distinction University College London 2006
- MPhil University of Southampton 2000
- MB ChB University of Bristol 1994
Reference number 4083890
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Honorary Clinical Associate Professor The University of Hong Kong 2014
- Visiting Professor Bournemouth 2008
- Honorary Senior Lecturer Imperial College London 2019
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council , 2006
Affiliations / memberships
American Heart Association (AHA), American Stroke Association (ASA), British & Irish Association of Stroke Physicians (BIASP), British Geriatrics Society (BGS), British Society of Lifestyle Medicine (BSLM), British Society of Rehabilitation Medicine (BSRM), European Stroke Organization (ESO), Royal College of Physicians (RCP), Royal Society of Public Health (RSPH), World Stroke Organization (WSO), (HKAM), Academy of Medical Cannabis (UK). He holds committee positions in the BIASP and ESO
- 33 Grosvenor PlaceLondonSW1X 7HY
- 08:00 - 20:00
- 020 3423 7500
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.