- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Pain medicine
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Vasu has been a Consultant in Pain Medicine in NHS since 2006. He specialises in a variety of chronic pain conditions in adults including spinal pain (back pain / neck pain), widespread pain including fibromyalgia, complex regional pain syndrome, neuropathic pain, abdominal/ visceral pain, chronic headaches etc. He has special expertise in managing pain and fatigue in Long COVID Syndrome. He has written various textbooks in chronic pain including books on Long COVID Syndrome and Fibromyalgia.
He does a variety of interventions and injections for pain conditions. His particular interest is in radiofrequency denervation injections for back and neck pain. He has experience in variety of pain injections, which he has performed in the NHS for more than 15 years as a Consultant.
Dr Vasu has won national award for the innovations in chronic pain which is quoted as an example for excellence in the website of the Royal College of Anaesthetists, London.
Areas of interest
* Back pain
* Neck pain
* Head ache
* Abdominal pain
* Pain and fatigue in Long COVID Syndrome
* Knee pain
* Hip pain
* Spinal injections
* Epidural injections
* Facet joint injections
* Radiofrequency and Pulsed radiofrequency denervations
* Injection treatment for chronic migraine including Botox injections
* Joint pain treatment (joint injections)
* Neuralgia (nerve pain) treatment
* Pain management injections for back and facet joints
* Steroids injections into the spine to help relieve pain
* Trigger injections
* Intravenous lignocaine infusions for widespread pain
* Peripheral nerve blocks
* Injections for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Website of Leicester Pain Clinic
- National award winning video for paediatric chronic pain
- Press release for national award entry
- National award press release from LPT
- Royal College appreciation for innovation as an example for excellence
- Faculty of Pain Medicine appreciation document
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant in Pain Medicine,
University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust.
Chronic pain, Long COVID Syndrome.
Dr Vasu has published the first international evidence based textbook on 'Managing Long COVID Syndrome' that is very popular and well appreciated.
Grunenthal National Pain Award for innovation in chronic pain (2016).
UHL Educator Award for senior consultant category 2020.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Tamil - Native or bilingual
- Hindi - Fluent
Dr Vasu has written five popular textbooks including:
* Managing Long COVID Syndrome
* Chronic Pain Management
* Interviews for medical school: Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) Practice
* CRQs in Anaesthesia
Dr Vasu was the Editor of Pain News, British Pain Society between 2011-2014. His salient publications include:
â€¢ Pain Chapter in CCrISP (Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient) manual, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 2017 (ISBN 978-1-904096-33-7)
â€¢ Two chapters in Oxford Specialist Handbook in Pain Medicine, Spinal Interventions in Pain Management (ISBN 978-0-19-958691-2)
â€¢ A rare case of FSHS with widespread chronic pain, Sept 2017. Pain News, Vol 15 (3).
â€¢ Audit of Non-theatre interventions in the pain service, May 2017. British Journal of Pain, Vol 11(2)
â€¢ Practice and preference of regional techniques among anaesthetists. Anesthesia and Analgesia 2007; 104: S260
â€¢ Patient-led identification of the midline of the lumbar spine. Anesthesiology 2003; 20(S30):116
Courses offered to GPs
Dr Vasu is an international/national lecturer for pain. He led the Association of Anaesthetists pain workshop 2012. He chaired National Pain Exchange Meeting (2015). He has been Judge for National Grunenthal Pain Awards for innovation in 2017. He organises the Annual Midlands pain forum. He has lectured in many patient forums/ groups including the Marvellous Medicine lecture in Leicester (2016, 2021), Bangor Science Cafe (2010) and Yns Mon Fibromyalgia group (2011).
- MBBS Stanley Medical College, India 1993
- MD (Anaesthesia) The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University, India 1999
- DNB (Anaesthesia) National Board of Examinations, India 1999
- FRCA Royal College of Anaesthetists, London 2002
- Dip Pain Management Cardiff University 2006
- FIPP World Institute of Pain, USA 2007
- FFPMRCA Faculty of Pain Medicine, RCOA, London 2007
- Advanced pain fellowship London Deanery rotation 2003
Reference number 5203749
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Council Member British Pain Society 2012
- Honorary Editor Pain News, British Pain Society 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Anaesthetics , 2006
Affiliations / memberships
Faculty of Pain Medicine, London
Royal College of Anaesthetists, London
- Gartree RoadOadbyLEICESTERLE2 2FF
- 08:30 - 13:00
- 0116 272 0888
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Spire Secretarial team