- Fee assured
- Verified account
Mr. von Arx undertook his postgraduate specialist training in Trauma, Orthopaedics and Spinal Surgery in Exeter and on the Wessex Training scheme based in Bath, Swindon and Bristol.
Otto was awarded a one year AO Spinal Surgical Fellowship in Brisbane Australia in 2006 consolidating his spinal surgical training under the supervision of Prof .Richard Williams, Dr Rob Labrom & Prof.Geoff Askin, additionally holding a research post at the Queensland University of Technology during his tenure.
His training and expertise encompasses the operative and non-operative management of back pain, degenerative lumbar pathology, lumbar disc pathology, spinal stenoses, traumatic &osteoporotic spinal fractures, cervical spine pathology and medico-legal practice. Mr von Arx has a particular interest in paediatric / adolescent back pain and the management of back pain in the elite sports person.
Mr von Arx practices at the Royal United Hospital Bath NHS, Circle Bath and the BMI Bath Clinic .
Trauma & Orthopaedics, Spinal Surgery, Medico- Legal Practice , Medical Education .
Special Clinical Interests
Non operative & Operative Management of the Degenerate Spine
Spinal Surgery & Rehabilitation in the Elite athlete
Minimal Access Spinal Surgery
Complex Spine Reconstruction
Surgical Management of the Osteoporotic Spine incl. Vertebral Augmentation
Spinal Tumour Management
Areas of interest
• Spinal surgery • Back Pain • Non operative management for back pain • Minimal Access Spinal Surgery • Back pain in Elite athletes • Osteoporosis • Vertebroplasty • Kyphoplasty • Discectomy • Stenoses • Injection treatment for pain • Spinal fusion ; Paediatric back pain ; Adolescent back pain.
- Elle Barnes
- Circle Bath Foxcote Avenue Peasedown St John Bath BA2 8SQ
- 01761 422258
- 01761 422233
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Royal United Hospital Bath NHS
Mr von Arx has an active research interest and is a regular contributor to peer reviewed journals as well as reviewing research for publication.
Editorial Board - Juniper open access Orthopaedic and Rheumatology Board.
Published recent papers :
1)Role of printed consent form in lumbar spine surgery , The Spine Journal March 2015.Fabian Wong, Otto Von Arx, Maurice Paterson
Spine Unit, Royal United Hospital, Bath http://www.thespinejournalonline.com/article/S1529-9430(14)01976-7/abstract
2)Can we predict recurrence following microdiscectomy? The Spine Journal March 2015.Fabian Wong, Sarah Ferguson, Otto Von Arx, Maurice Paterson
Spinal Unit, Royal United Hospital, Bath
3)Nottingham Hip Fracture Score underestimates mortality in patients with peri-prosthetic fractures Michael T Stoddart1, Otto A von Arx1,
Michael R Whitehouse2, Celia L Gregson1,2
Presented at the British Orthopaedic Association meeting 2016
Mr von Arx is an accredited RFU Level 1 coach and is an assistant rugby coach to Bath u14 . This is a voluntary position .
He also enjoys active pursuits especially skiing and mountain biking.
AO Spinal Fellowship award 2006
Meeting Host British Association of spinal Surgeons Annual meeting 2015.
Courses offered to GPs
Back pain in Athletes
Red Flags - is it a Dolphin or is it a Shark?
Is all Back pain 'Back Pain'?
The 7 minute back examination
- MBChB University of Stellenbosch South Africa 1993
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons England 2000
- FRCS ( TR & Orth) Royal College of Surgeons England 2006
- Specialist Register- Orthopaedics ,Trauma,Spine General Medical Council 2007
- AO International - Spinal Fellowship Reference Centre (Fellowship accredited Spine Surgeon) Princess Alexandra Hospital Brisbane 2006
Reference number 4138642
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Specialist Advisor CQC Inspections 2016
- Board Member British Association of Spinal Surgeons Executive comittee 2015
- Medical Negligence Advisor General Medical Council 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Orthopaedics and Trauma , 2006
- Spine , 2006
Affiliations / memberships
Eurospine - Spine Society of Europe
British Association of Spinal Surgeons
North American Spine Society
Faculty of Expert Witnesses
AO Spine Europe
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons England
Bristol Medico-Legal Society
- BMI Bath ClinicClaverton Down RoadCombe...
- 08:00 - 12:00
- 01761 422258
- Circle Bath,Foxcote AvenuePeasdown St...
- 08:00 - 20:00
- 01761 422258
- Circle BathFoxcote Ave, Peasedown St...
- 14:00 - 20:00
- 01761 422258
Post treatment communication
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Epidural injection (caudal) - (1-5)
Medial branch block injection(s) +/- image guidance (including bilateral) LUMBAR - (1-5)
Posterior excision of disc prolapse (including microdiscectomy +/- decompression) - lumbar region (1 or 2 levels) - (1-5)
Sulis Hospital Bath (1-5)