- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Sleep disorders
- Video and telephone consultations
Graduated in 1989 and took Postgraduate degree in Respiratory Medicine in 1994. Completed dual certification in Respiratory and General Medicine in 2002 and has been on the Specialty Register of the UK Royal Colleges since then.
Practicing as Consultant Respiatory/Chest and General Physician at Bedford Hospital from 2002 until July 2021. Have been an Honorary Consultant Respiratory Physician at University College, London from 2015 to 2020.
I was the clinical lead for the Respiratory services and Undergraduate Specialty Tutor and Recognised Clinical Teacher for Cambridge Medical Students. I was also an Educational Supervisor for Foundation doctors and Specialist Registrars.
I was the lead clinician for COVID, Lung Cancer and Interventional Pulmonology.
I was involved in research and was Principle Investigator for the COVID 'Recovery Trial'.
Areas of interest
Cough; Asthma; COPD; Lung cancer; Sleep disorders / Sleep apnoea; Non-invasive ventilation; Interstitial lung disease including Sarcoidosis; Asbestosis; Pleural disorders
COVID and long COVID.
I offer lung function studies, Bronchoscopies, Endobronchial Ultrasound guided biopsies and Pleural procedures.
I treat patient from the age of 3 years and above.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Actively involved in multi centre clinical trials.
Was Principal Investigator for the ACCLAIM trial, PROMIS trial and AUSTRI Asthma research study.
Was a sub investigator for the TIPAC study.
Principle Investigator for the COVID 'Recovery Trial'.
Cough, Breathlessness, Asthma, COPD, Lung cancer, Sleep apnoea, Non Invasive Ventilation and Interstitial lung diseases.
I am lead for COVID, Lung Cancer and Interventional Pulmonology including Bronchoscopy, EBUS and insertion of Indwelling Pleural Catheters.
Excellent Teaching Award - University of Cambridge Clinical School of Medicine.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Malayalam - Fluent
- Hindi - Conversational
1. A Randomized Controlled Trial To Assess the Optimal Dose and Effect of Nebulised Albuterol in Acute Exacerbations of COPD – Suresh Nair, Enson Thomas, Stanley B. Pearson and Michael T. Henry – Chest 2005;128;48-54.
Petousi N, Mathew J, Thomas EC. A patient presenting with generalised lympadenopathy – sarcoidosis, lymphoma or tuberculosis? -
BMJ Case Reports 2012;10.1136/bcr.11.2011.5150.
The following 2 papers were presented at the 10th Annual British Thoracic Oncology Group Conference 2012, in Dublin, Ireland:
2. EGFR mutational testing in non-squamous lung cancer: 12 months experience from a Cancer Unit in UK V.Bulusu, Y.Jeffs, S.Jessop, O-P Kwame, E.Thomas, A.Egan, P.Hicks, M.Azher
3. Lung Cancer in patients older than 75 years- referral pathways, interventions and outcomes: experience from a cancer unit Y.Jeffs, K.Adu-Poko, M.Azher, A.Egan, P.Hicks, E.Thomas, T.Broadhurst, V.Bulusu
4. Maintenance therapy in COPD: time to phase out ICS and switch to the new LAMA/LABA inhalers?Tariq SM, Thomas EC
Courses offered to GPs
Regularly teach GP's in the community and in Hospital. The talks delivered includes the following topics:
Interstitial Lung Disease including Sarcoidosis
Webinars on COPD management.
- MD in Respiratory Diseases University of Delhi 1994
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians (UK) 1997
- CCST (UK) (Respiratory & General Internal Medicine) The Speciality Training Authority of the Medical Royal Colleges (UK) 2002
- MBBS University of Calicut 1989
- Thoracic Ultrasound Course John Radcliffe Hospital 2009
- Advanced Diagnostic Bronchoscopy Imperial College, London 2015
- ERS Practical Workshop on Thoracoscopy and Pleural Techniques ERS, Marseille, France 2010
- Good Clinical Practice National Institute for Health Research 2010
- National Advanced Communication Skills Training National Cancer Action Team 2007
- Sleep Medicine Course Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh 2007
- Severe Asthma Masterclass Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Reading 2014
Reference number 4764867
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow American College of Chest Physicians 2000
- Fellow Royal College of Physicians of London 2008
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCST (UK) (Respiratory & General Internal Medicine) , 2002
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London)
Member of Medical Protection Society
Member of British Thoracic Society
Member of East Anglian Thoracic Society
Gold member of European Respiratory Society
Member of American Thoracic Society
Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians
Life member of Indian Medical Association
- 9 Harley Street
- 16:00 - 18:30
- 07753 823570
- BMI The Manor Hospital, Church End, Biddenham,...
- 16:00 - 19:00
- 01234 369043
- BMI The Saxon Clinic, Chadwick Drive, MK6 5LR
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 01908 665533
- BMI Three Shires Hospital, The Avenue,...
- 16:00 - 20:00
- 01604 620311
- London Allergy & Immunology Centre1 Harley...
- 18:30 - 20:30
- 07810 523349
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Myself on 07810523349
Secretary on 0333 012 4095
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
ExCon - Further Discretionary Payment - (1-5)