- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Chandran is a Consultant Paediatric Surgeon and Urologist at the Birmingham Children's Hospital and the BMI Priory Hospital. He trained in General Surgery and Paediatric Surgery in New Zealand and Australia, obtaining the prestigious FRACS in both specialities. He was appointed as Consultant Paediatric Surgeon & Urologist in 2000.
He was instrumental in setting up and developing the Laparoscopic surgery service at the Children's Hospital to benefit the children of the West Midlands. He is the Clinical Lead for Laparoscopic Surgery at Birmingham Children's and is a recognised expert in the field of Laparoscopic Paediatric Surgery & Urology in the UK and overseas. He has over 30 years of operative experience in reconstructive surgery of the genito-urinary tract.
Mr Chandran is involved in teaching and training future surgeons and also mentors several other Consultant surgeons in Cardiff, London and in Switzerland.
Areas of interest
PAEDIATRIC SURGERY/UROLOGY: including Hernias; Hydroceles; Undescended Testes; Tight Foreskins/Phimosis; Circumcisions.
SPECIALIST PAEDIATRIC UROLOGY : Hypospadias repairs; Genital reconstruction.
LAPAROSCOPIC OPERATIONS('Keyhole surgery') : Laparoscopic Nephrectomy; Hemi-nephrectomy; Laparoscopic Pyeloplasty.
Current NHS consultant posts held
1. Consultant Surgeon, Birmingham Children's Hospital, BIRMINGHAM.
2. Hon Consultant Surgeon, Princess Royal Hospital, TELFORD.
Laparoscopic Surgery and Reconstructive surgery of the Genito-urinary tract.
Travelling, Cycling, Flying
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Tamil - Fluent
Journal of Paediatric Urology,
Journal of Paediatric Surgery,
Pediatric Surgery International,
Courses offered to GPs
Yearly Update lecture at the Birmingham Medical Institute, Edgbaston, B15 3AF, organised by the BMI Priory Hospital.
Ad hoc lectures at various GP Practices.
- FEAPU ESPU Belgium 2006
- FRACS Paediatric Surgery Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Melbourne 1997
- FRACS General Surgery Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Melbourne 1995
- B.Sc., M.B.B.S, Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai, INDIA 1985
Reference number 4685319
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Head of Organising Committee BAPES (British Association of Paediatric Endoscopic Surgeon) 2014
- Clinical Lead for Laparoscopic Surgery Birmingham Childrens Hospital 2012
- Clinical Director of Surgery Birmingham Children's Hospital 2010
Details of entry to specialist register
- Paediatric Surgery and Urology , 2001
Affiliations / memberships
1) British Association of Paediatric Endoscopic Surgeons (BAPES)
2) British Association of Paediatric Surgeons (BAPS)
3) Royal Australasian College of Surgeons,(RACS)
4) European Society for Paediatric Urology (ESPU)
5) British Association of Paediatric Urology (BAPU).
- B M I Priory Hospital Priory Road Edgbaston...
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 0121 446 1638
- Birmingham Childrens Hospital Ladywood House...
- 12:00 - 14:00
- 0121 333 8389
- Birmingham Childrens HospitalLadywood...
- 12:00 - 14:00
- 0121 333 8389
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
BMI Priory Hospital, 0121 4402323
Birmingham Children's Hospital, 0121 3339999.
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Circumcision - (1-5)