- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
Areas of interest
Spinal surgery; orthopaedics; gynaecology; vascular surgery; GI surgery; Maxillfacial surgery; ENT; Urology
- Florence Anderson
- Spire Montefiore Hospital 2 Montefiore Road Hove BN3 1RD
- 01273 828098
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Trust
Cold water adaptation
Non-pharmacological interventions for high-risk surgical patients
History of Anaesthesia
(Additional) Languages spoken
- French - Conversational
- Norwegian - Conversational
1. van Tulleken C, Tipton M, Massey H, Harper CM. Open water swimming as a treatment for major depressive disorder. BMJ Case Reports. 2018;2018.
2. Kümin M, Harper CM, Reed M, Bremner S, Perry N, Scarborough M. Reducing Implant Infection in Orthopaedics (RIIiO): a pilot study for a randomised controlled trial comparing the influence of forced air versus resistive fabric warming technologies on postoperative infection rates following orthopaedic implant surgery in adults. Trials. 2018;19(1):640.
3. Ingram A, Harper M. The health economic benefits of perioperative patient warming for prevention of blood loss and transfusion requirements as a consequence of inadvertent perioperative hypothermia. Journal of perioperative practice. 2018:1750458918776558.
4. Tipton MJ, Collier N, Massey H, Corbett J, Harper M. Cold water immersion: kill or cure? Experimental Physiology. 2017;102(11):1335-55.
5. Davis O, Harper MC. The Art of Ageing Well. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2017;65(4):835-7.
6. John M, Crook D, Dasari K, Eljelani F, El-Haboby A, Harper CM. Comparison of resistive heating and forced-air warming to prevent inadvertent perioperative hypothermia. British journal of anaesthesia. 2016;116(2):249-54.
7. Collier N, Massey H, Lomax M, Harper C, Tipton M. Cold Water Swimming and Upper Respiratory Tract Infections. 16th International Conference on Environmental Ergonomics Portsmouth2015.
8. Sharma M-PD, M. Eljilani, F. Harper, C Mark. A Randomised Controlled Trial To Determine The Influence of Carbon-Polymer Warming Blankets On The Incidence Of Perioperative Hypothermia During And After Short, DayCase Operations. Journal of One Day Surgery. 2014;24(4):92-9.
9. John M, Ford J, Harper M. Peri-operative warming devices: performance and clinical application. Anaesthesia. 2014;69(6):623-38.
10. Chakladar A, Dixon MJ, Crook D, Harper CM. The effects of a resistive warming mattress during caesarean section: a randomised, controlled trial. International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia. 2014;23(4):309-16.
- BSc University of London 1990
- FRCA Royal College of Anaesthetists 1998
- MBBS University of London 1992
- PhD University of Portsmouth 2016
Reference number 3683189
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Expert Advisor Royal College of Anaesthetists 2017
- Expert Advisor NICE 2017
- Speciality Lead, Anaesthetics, Pain and Perioperative Medicine Kent, Surrey and Sussex Clinical Research Network 2018
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Epidural injection (caudal) - (1-5)