- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Shlebak attained MBChB in 1986 with first honours and best graduate prize. Completed general medical training in Edinburgh & South Wales (MRCP 1991) he joined the Haematology department in Glasgow and then Liverpool (DRCPath and MRCPath 1995). He joined the Royal Postgraduate Medical School (RPMS) at Hammersmith Hospital as a lecturer in 1996-1998 and undertook research in cord blood progenitor stem cells (M.D degree University of London in 2000) whilst running the MSc programme in Haematology. He was appointed as a consultant and honorary senior lecturer at St Mary's hospital in 1998. He led on transfusion, haemostasis & thrombosis including anticoagulation, and obstetric haematology. He is the lead for Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust haematology diagnostic services since its inception in 2008 and currently leads on haematology & Blood transfusion pathology services (North West London Pathology since 2017) modernisation. He is Imperial Haematology training programme (since 2014) Unit Training lead (UTL) and chair for local faculty group (LFG). He is an Imperial College undergraduate teacher and a co-convenor of BSc haemostats module. He is an examiner for the Royal College of Pathologists. Led as the national haematology expert for the RCPath National Medical Laboratory Catalogue (NMLC).
Thrombosis, anticoagulation, obstetric haematology, bleeding tendency, general & laboratory haematology.
Research & publications
Research interests include the prevention of venous thromboembolism, haemostatic aspects of recurrent miscarriages and pregnancy loss with earlier contribution to the effects of pregnancy on the quality of cord blood progenitor cells.
VISIT THE IMPERIAL PRIVATE HEALTHCARE WEBSITE
Areas of interest
Interpretation and diagnosis of laboratory haematology.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Haematologist/Honorary Senior Lecturer
Imperial College Healthcare, London (St Mary’s Hospital, Hammersmith Hospital and Charing Cross Hospital).
Duties include: 14/09/1998-till date
-Haematology Unit Training Lead (UTL) -Chairman of Haematology Local Faculty Group
-Joint Haematology & Blood Transfusion lead for North West London Pathology (Imperial College Healthcare NHS Hospitals, Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, Hillingdon Hospital & West Middlesex Hospital)
Prevention of venous thrombosis
Thrombophilia & pregnancy loss
Pregnancy and thrombosis
Novel mutation in Bernard Soulier syndrome
Novel fibrinogen thrombotic mutations
Cord blood stem cells
Long service 20-year award as a consultant
Bronze clinical excellence award
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Native or bilingual
1. Shlebak AA. Platelet genesis: Unraveling an incredible journey! Ibnosina J Med Biomed Sci 2017;9:4-101.
2. Shlebak AA, Bain BJ. Training Future Haematologists, a privilege or a burden? “A trainer’s view”. BJH 2017.
3. Shlebak A A, Alexia D Katsarou, George Adams, Fiona Fernando. A novel mutation in exon 2 of FGB caused by c.221G>T substitution, predicting the replacement of of the native Arginine at position 74 with a Leucine (p.Arg74Leu ) in a Kurdish family with dysfibrinogenaemia and familial venous and arterial thrombosis. Thromb and Thrombolysis Journal Thromb Thrombolysis (2016).
4. Shlebak AA et al. The impact of the DoH Commissioning for Quality and Innovation incentive on the venous thromboembolism risk assessment implementation in hospitalised patients: A single institution experience over a 4-year cycle, a quality improvement outcome. JRSM Open 2016.
5. Shlebak AA. Cerebral venous thrombosis as a manifestation of antiphospholipid syndrome. J Clin Path; 2016; 69 (4):337-43.
6. Pintilie H, Raghunanan S, Shlebak A, Everitt A, Foster C. Venous sinus thrombosis in a patient with perinatally acquired HIV, a paediatric case report HIV MEDICINE 2016 17:36-36.
7. Shlebak AA, Anthony Poles, Richard Manning, Shaikha Almuhareb, Josu De La Funte, Mike Mitchell and Geoff Lucas. A novel homozygous c.800C>G substitution in GP1BA exon2 predicting the replacement 1 of the native Serine at codon 267 with a premature termination codon (p.Ser267*) in a Kuwaiti family with Bernard-Soulier syndrome. 2015 Acta Haematology 2015;134:193-198.
8. Victoria Campbell, Kevin Marriott and Shlebak AA. Successful Aortic Aneurysm Repair in a Woman with Severe von Willebrand (Type 3) Disease. Case Rep Hematol. Case Rep Hematol 2015.
9. Shlebak AA. Novel Oral Anticoagulants: A New Era in Anti-Thrombotic Therapy. Ibnosina J Med BS 2013:247-253.
10. Samantha Coulson, Aruchuna Mohanaruban, Abdul Shlebak and Antoni Sergot. (2012). An unusual cause of bleeding in an elderly patient. Clinical Medicine 2012, Vol 12, No 2: 150–2.
11. Bentley P, Banerjee S, Hamady M, Gordon M, Davis J, Marley S, Williamson D, McColgan P, Mehta A, Waldman A, Quest R, McRobbie D, Shlebak A, Nicholls J, Habib N, Chataway J. Phase I trial of intra-arterial autologous CD34+ haematopoeitic stem cells in acute ischaemic stroke. 2011 Int J Stroke.
12. Shlebak AA, Iqbal Malik. (2009) Managing heparin in patients with prosthetic cardiac valves “balancing the risk”. Heart 2009; 95:1643-1645
Courses offered to GPs
Anticoagulation, old & new
Diagnosis and management of thrombosis
Cancer associated thrombosis
Criteria for haematology referrals to secondary care
- MBChB (Hons) ALFATEH UNIVERSITY, LIBYA 1986
- MD London University of London 2001
- FRCP UK Royal College of Physician UK 2000
- FRCPath Royal College of Pathologists, UK 1995
Reference number 3634109
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- GMC General Medical Council 1988
Details of entry to specialist register
- Dr Abdul Shlebak , 1996
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Pathologists
Royal College of Physicians
British Society of Haematology
American Society of Haematology
- Lindo WingSt Mary's HospitalSouth Wharf RdLondon
- 09:30 - 13:00
- 020 3312 6806
Post treatment communication