- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Pain medicine
Dr Stephen Wardis a Consultant in Pain Medicine at Guy's and St Thomas NHS Trust. Until 2018, Dr Ward was lead clinician for the Pain Medicine Department at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust.
He has a private practice based at the Nuffield Hospital in Haywards Heath, Sussex. He specialises in a wide range of pain conditions including back pain, sciatica, neck pain, nerve pain, cancer related pain and headache.
He is an expert in evidence based back pain treatment and is Chair of the NICE Guideline on Low Back Pain and Sciatica, Chair of the NICE Guideline on Rheumatoid Arthritis and Chair of the European Pain Federation (EFIC) Low Back Pain Guideline Task Force.
Areas of interest
Pain management; Back pain; Neck pain; Sciatica; Neuropathic pain; Headache
Chair - NICE Guideline on Low Back Pain and Sciatica
Chair - NICE Guideline on Rheumatoid Arthritis
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant in Pain Medicine
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals NHS Trust
Back pain & back pain interventions
1. Clinical guidelines for low back pain: A critical review of consensus and inconsistencies across three major guidelines. O'Connell NE, Cook CE, Wand BM, Ward SP. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2016 Dec;30(6):968-980. doi: 10.1016/j.berh.2017.05.001.
2. Low Back Pain: What Have Clinical Guidelines Ever Done for Us? O'Connell NE, Ward SP. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2018 Feb;48(2):54-57. doi: 10.2519/jospt.2018.0602.
3. An update of comprehensive evidence-based guidelines for interventional techniques in chronic spinal pain. Part II: guidance and recommendations.
Manchikanti L, Abdi S, Atluri S, Benyamin RM, Boswell MV, Buenaventura RM, Bryce DA, Burks PA, Caraway DL, Calodney AK, Cash KA, Christo PJ, Cohen SP, Colson J, Conn A, Cordner H, Coubarous S, Datta S, Deer TR, Diwan S, Falco FJ, Fellows B, Geffert S, Grider JS, Gupta S, Hameed H, Hameed M, Hansen H, Helm S 2nd, Janata JW, Justiz R, Kaye AD, Lee M, Manchikanti KN, McManus CD, Onyewu O, Parr AT, Patel VB, Racz GB, Sehgal N, Sharma ML, Simopoulos TT, Singh V, Smith HS, Snook LT, Swicegood JR, Vallejo R, Ward SP, Wargo BW, Zhu J, Hirsch JA.
Pain Physician. 2013 Apr;16(2 Suppl):S49-283.
4. An update of the effectiveness of therapeutic lumbar facet joint interventions.
Falco FJ, Manchikanti L, Datta S, Sehgal N, Geffert S, Onyewu O, Zhu J, Coubarous S, Hameed M, Ward SP, Sharma M, Hameed H, Singh V, Boswell MV.
Pain Physician. 2012 Nov-Dec;15(6):E909-53. Review.
4. An update of the systematic assessment of the diagnostic accuracy of lumbar facet joint nerve blocks.
Falco FJ, Manchikanti L, Datta S, Sehgal N, Geffert S, Onyewu O, Singh V, Bryce DA, Benyamin RM, Simopoulos TT, Vallejo R, Gupta S, Ward SP, Hirsch JA.
Pain Physician. 2012 Nov-Dec;15(6):E869-907. Review.
5. Systematic review of the therapeutic effectiveness of cervical facet joint interventions: an update.
Falco FJ, Manchikanti L, Datta S, Wargo BW, Geffert S, Bryce DA, Atluri S, Singh V, Benyamin RM, Sehgal N, Ward SP, Helm S 2nd, Gupta S, Boswell MV.
Pain Physician. 2012 Nov-Dec;15(6):E839-68. Review.
6. Effectiveness of therapeutic lumbar transforaminal epidural steroid injections in managing lumbar spinal pain.
Manchikanti L, Buenaventura RM, Manchikanti KN, Ruan X, Gupta S, Smith HS, Christo PJ, Ward SP.
Pain Physician. 2012 May-Jun;15(3):E199-245. Review.
- FFPMRCA Faculty of Pain Medicine RCA 2007
- FRCA Royal College of Anaesthetists 1997
- MBBS Guy's Hospital, London 1990
- MSc Medical Statistics (2nd year) Oxford University 2017
Reference number 3499210
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chair - Guideline on Rheumatoid Arthritis NICE 2018
- Chair - Guideline on Back Pain & Sciatica NICE 2016
- Chair - Guideline on Epilepsy NICE 2019
Affiliations / memberships
Spinal Intervention Society
World Institute of Pain
European Pain Federation
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Nuffield Hospital, Haywards Heath
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Intravenous regional sympathetic block (guanethidine block) - 1 injection - (5-50)
Sacroiliac joint injection under image guidance (and bilateral) - (5-50)
Local anaesthetic blockade of named major nerve or plexus +/- Image guidance (as sole procedure) - (1-5)
Injection(s) +/- aspiration, into joint, cyst, bursa with image guidance - (1-5)
Two or more injections into subcutaneous tissue / painful trigger point under local anaesthetic - (1-5)