- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Tristan Ramcharan is a highly skilled consultant paediatric and sport cardiologist who works in the world-renowned cardiac unit at Birmingham Children’s Hospital. He specialises in treating heart problems in children, from newborns to young adults, and is highly skilled in advanced imaging techniques including trans-thoracic echocardiography, transoesophageal echocardiography (TOE), cardiac CT and cardiac MRI. His practice is centred on a family-centric approach that prioritises understanding the needs of both children and their parents. Dr Ramcharan’s empathetic communication style and clear explanations make him an excellent choice for anyone seeking treatment for their child's heart condition. He is confident in managing a wide range of heart problems in children, including heart murmurs, chest pain, palpitations, fainting and POTS. He has a particular interest in exercise induced symptoms - including chest pain, dizziness, palpitations and fatigue.
As well as paediatrics, Dr Ramcharan is passionate about sport, exercise, and cardiac rehabilitation. He has an MSc in Sport Cardiology, graduating with Distinction from St George's University London in 2022. He can conduct cardiovascular screening to detect potential causes of sudden cardiac death in young athletes and those involved in competitive sports. As a recognised expert in paediatric sport cardiology, he has been appointed to the English Football Association’s sport cardiology expert panel.
During a consultation with Dr Ramcharan, he will undertake a detailed history and cardiovascular examination of your child, including checking their height, weight, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation levels. He may also perform a 12-lead electrocardiogram (ECG) and an ultrasound (echocardiogram) to assess the rhythm, electrical activity, structure, and function of the heart.
Furthermore, he is an active researcher with several international presentations and publications in peer-reviewed journals, covering both congenital, acquired heart disease and sport cardiology. He was the author of one of the first articles to be published internationally on Multi-system Inflammatory Syndrome in Children Associated with COVID (MIS-C/PIMS-TS).
Areas of interest
Congenital Heart Disease;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Paediatric Cardiologist, Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust
Congenital Heart Disease
Fontan associated liver disease
1) Kavga M, Ramcharan T, Papadopoulou-Legbelou K. The Role of Advanced Imaging in
Paediatric Cardiology: Basic Principles and Indications. J Cardiol Cardiovasc Med. 2023;8: 065-071. DOI: 10.29328/journal.jccm.1001155
2) Ramcharan T, Quintero DB, Stickley J, Poole E, Miller P, Desai T, Harris M, Kilby MD,
Stumper O, Khan N, Barron DJ, Seale AN. Medium-term Outcome of Prenatally
Diagnosed Hypoplastic Left-Heart Syndrome and Impact of a Restrictive Atrial
Septum Diagnosed in-utero. Pediatr Cardiol. 2023 Aug;44(6):1217-1225. doi:
10.1007/s00246-023-03184-z. Epub 2023 May 23. PMID: 37219587.
3) Ramcharan T, Edwards J, O'Driscoll J, Papadakis M. The Acute Impact of Endurance Exercise on Right Ventricular Structure and Function: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Cardiol Clin. 2023 Feb;41(1):25-34. doi: 10.1016/j.ccl.2022.08.004. Epub 2022 Oct 19. PMID: 36368809.
4) Ramcharan TKW, Goff DA, Greenleaf CE, Shebani SO, Salazar JD, Corno AF. Ebstein's
Anomaly: From Fetus to Adult-Literature Review and Pathway for Patient Care. Pediatr Cardiol. 2022 Oct;43(7):1409-1428. doi: 10.1007/s00246-022-02908-x. Epub 2022 Apr 23. PMID: 35460366.
5) Ramcharan T, Nolan O, Lai CY, Prabhu N, Krishnamurthy R, Richter AG, Jyothish D,
Kanthimathinathan HK, Welch SB, Hackett S, Al-Abadi E, Scholefield BR,
Chikermane A. Paediatric Inflammatory Multisystem Syndrome: Temporally
Associated with SARS-CoV-2 (PIMS-TS): Cardiac Features, Management and
Short-Term Outcomes at a UK Tertiary Paediatric Hospital. Pediatr Cardiol. 2020
Oct;41(7):1391-1401. doi: 10.1007/s00246-020-02391-2. Epub 2020 Jun 12. PMID: 32529358; PMCID: PMC7289638.
6) Ramcharan T. Supraventricular Tachycardia. Neonatal Guidelines 2019-2021. Bedside Clinical Guidelines Partnership. Published December 2019.
7) Jones JP, Ramcharan T, Chaudhari M, Bhole V, Mcleod K, Sadagopan S, Uzun O, Parry A, Till J, McMahon CJ, Stuart AG, Walsh MA. Ventricular fibromas in children,
arrhythmia risk, and outcomes: A multicenter study. Heart Rhythm. 2018 Oct;15(10):1507-1512. doi: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2018.06.018. Epub 2018 Jun 12. PMID: 29906523.
- FRCPCH Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health 2022
- MSc(Dist) Sport Cardiology St George's University London 2022
- MBChB(Hons) University of Birmingham 2011
Reference number 7130366
Details of entry to specialist register
- Paediatric cardiology , 2022
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr Tristan Ramcharan - email@example.com
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
ECG (including reporting) - (1-5)