- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- General cardiology
- Interventional cardiology
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Bart Olechowski is a Consultant Interventional Cardiologist specialising in all aspects of general cardiology and interventional cardiology.
Dr Olechowski works in the field of ischemic heart disease, treating patients with heart attacks and angina with intracoronary stents. He looks after patients with chest pains, breathlessness, blackouts and palpitations. Dr Olechowski is an expert in diagnosis and treatment of hypertension, heart failure, atrial fibrillation, and valvular heart disease.
Dr Olechowski graduated 15 years ago and has worked in four NHS hospitals since then.
He started as a junior doctor in 2008 and rotated through Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth, University Hospital Southampton, and University Hospital Dorset in Bournemouth.
In 2019 he successfully gained a doctorate degree (DM) from the University of Southampton. In addition to full training in general cardiology, he also completed 3 sub-speciality fellowship years in coronary intervention.
From February 2022 Dr Olechowski works as a Consultant Cardiologist at Hampshire Hospitals NHS Trust in Basingstoke, Winchester, and Andover.
He is an author of 16 peer-reviewed publications in the field of cardiology and has British Society of Echocardiography accreditation.
Privately, Dr Olechowski lives in Winchester with his wife, who is a pharmacist, and two children. Dr Olechowski is an enthusiast and an advocate of healthy living and an active lifestyle.
Dr Olechowski is a highly regarded and respected cardiologist, who always puts the interest of his patients first.
Areas of interest
- Chest pains
- Shortness of breath
- Palpitations and racing heart symptoms
- Peripheral oedema, ankle swelling
- High cholesterol levels
- Coronary angiography
- Intracoronary intervention/stents
- Stable coronary artery disease, including patients after heart attacks, patients with coronary artery by-pass grafts, and patient after stenting
- Heart failure
- Valvular heart diseases
- Arrhythmias, atrial fibrillation and supraventricular tachycardias
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Interventional Cardiologist
HAMPSHIRE HOSPITALS NHS TRUST
Basingstoke, Winchester and Andover
Personalised antiplatelet therapy
Shortlisted for BCIS Young Investigators Award, London, 30/11/2017 for `Validation of TEG 6s and it`s novel fifteen-minute test for assessment of individual responses to antiplatelet therapy. `
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Polish - Native or bilingual
1. Detection of individual responses to clopidogrel: validation of a novel, rapid analysis using TEG 6s. - Bartosz Olechowski, Richard T Dalton, Vikram Khanna, Alexander Ashby, Maria Vavyla, Mark Mariathas, Scott Harris, Zoe Nicholas, Michael Mahmoudi, Nick Curzen Cardiovascular therapeutics 2018 Aug 36(4)
2. Changes in platelet function with inflammation in patients undergoing vascular surgery. - Bartosz Olechowski, Vikram Khanna, Mark Mariathas, Alexander Ashby, Richard T Dalton, Ian Nordon, Nicola Englyst, Scott Harris, Zoe Nicholas, Kala Thayalasamy, Michael Mahmoudi, Nick Curzen Platelets 2017 Dec 11:1-9
3. Is cardiac resynchronisation therapy (CRT) feasible, safe and beneficial in the very elderly? - Bartosz Olechowski, Rebecca Sands, Donah Zachariah, Neil P Andrews, Richard Balasubramaniam, Mark Sopher, John Paisey, Paul R Kalra Journal of Geriatric Cardiology 2015 Sep;12(5):497-501.
4. Radial artery damage due to sheath fracture: unpredicted complication. -
Bartosz Olechowski, Michael Purkiss, Phil Strike. Heart 2013 Mar;99(5):353-4.
5. Reverse Tako-tsubo cardiomyopathy: a clinical entity mimicking coronary syndrome. â€“ Bartosz Olechowski, Simon Corbett, Benoy Shah â€“ Postgrad Med J. 2015 Jun;91(1076):355-6
6. Stent thrombosis patients with hyporesponsiveness to clopidogrel, prasugrel and ticagrelor: a case series using short-thromboelastography. - Bartosz Olechowski, Alexander Ashby, Nalyaka Sambu, Michael Mahmoudi, Nick Curzen Case Rep Med. 2016;2016:2096181
7. Aortic coarctation assessed by contemporary multimodality cardiac imaging. â€“ Bartosz Olechowski, Samantha Fitzsimmons, Sue Thomas, Trevor Richens, Peter Oâ€™Kane â€“ Clin Med (Lond). 2016 Dec;16(6):602-603
8. Atrial myxoma presenting with anterior ST-elevation myocardial infarction â€“ Shane Tucker, Bartosz Olechowski, Rosie Swallow â€“ Postgrad Med J. 2020 Sep 24:postgradmedj-2020-138543
9. ST-segment elevation in patients presenting with COVID-19: case series. Mehrdad Saririan, Richard Armstrong, Jon C George, Bartosz Olechowski, Stephen Oâ€™Connor, James Brian Byrd, Andrew R Chapman â€“ European Heart Journal - Case Reports, Volume 5, Issue 2, February 2021
10. Is arachidonic acid stimulation really a test for the response to aspirin? Time to think again? - Bartosz Olechowski, Alexander Ashby, Mark Mariathas, Vikram Khanna, Michael Mahmoudi, Nicholas Curzen. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2017 Jan;15(1):35-46.
Courses offered to GPs
- Cardiology Certificate of Completion of Training Wessex Deanery, UK 2020
- Doctorate in Medicine, Feasibility and reproducibility of tailored antiplatelet therapy using short thrombelastography. University of Southampton 2019
- British Society of Echocardiography Accreditation British Society of Echocardiography 2014
- MRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians 2011
- Advance Life Support Resuscitation Council UK 2009
- MD (Medical Doctor) â€“ Master`s degree Medical University of Lublin, Poland 2008
- Interventional Cardiology Fellowshi University Hospital Dorset 2022
- Interventional Cardiology Fellowship University Hospital Southampton 2020
Reference number 7023539
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiology Certificate of Completion of Training , 2020
Affiliations / memberships
- Aldermaston RoadBASINGSTOKERG24 9NA
- 08:30 - 12:30
- 07920 111537
- Sarum Road WINCHESTER SO22 5HA
- 13:00 - 19:00
- 07920 111537
Post treatment communication
Dr Bart Olechowski's PA, nr 07920111537
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Adult cardiac catheterisation - radial access (including coronary arteriography/catheterisation of right/left side of heart/ contrast radiology) - with pressure wire (including fractional flow reserve measurement) - (1-5)
Coronary angioplasty following angiography with fractional flow study on the same day, +/- insertion of stent - femoral or brachial access - (1-5)