- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
I am a Genitourinary Medicine Consultant with over 10 years’ experience working as a consultant in the NHS. Currently I am the Medical Lead of the Sexual Health Service at Gloucestershire Health & Care NHS Foundation Trust providing leadership to a service that provides high quality clinical care to a population of over 600000. Prior to taking up the consultant role I have had further 10 years’ experience working in the NHS undertaking my professional development completing Foundation, Core Medical and Speciality training, gaining experience in a range of medical specialities. I have a special interest in managing patients with sexual dysfunction and have developed my career further on this line. I have taken a lead role in integrating the GUM and contraception services in the department, clinical audit activities, and developing the psychosexual Medicine service. From March 2015 to December 2018 I held the regional chair position of the South West branch of the British Association for Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH) promoting training, networking and clinical governance in the region.
Areas of interest
Sexually Transmitted Infections; Chlamydia; Gonorrhoea; Syphilis; HIV; Trichomonas; Genital Warts; Genital Herpes; Genital Dermatosis; Candida; Bacterial Vaginosis; Molluscum Contagiosum; Pubic lice; Pubic scabies; Contraception; Male sexual dysfunction, Female sexual dysfunction; Erectile dysfunction; Premature Ejaculation; Retarded Ejaculation; Loss of Libido; Vaginismus; Vulvodynia; Orgasmic disorders
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant & Medical Lead for Sexual Health at Gloucestershire Health & Care NHS Foundation Trust
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Sinhala, Sinhalese - Native or bilingual
Maculopapular rash: Could this be syphilis? Dr Emma Oliver, Dr Indrajith Karunaratne First Published November 23, 2021 Case Report InnovAiT: Education and inspiration for general practice
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Challenges, Yusuf, Imran H.; Craig, Paul; Karunaratne, Indrajith etal; RETINA. 37(4):800-806, April 2017
Shared care approach to managing patient with ophthalmological disease and positive syphilis serology: a case series – April 2012 - International Journal of STD & AIDS
Diploma in HIV Medicine – December 2011 - Diplomatosis section of the BMJ Careers Journal
Poster presentations – 2nd joint BHIVA/BASHH conference at Manchester in April 2010
HIV contact tracing. Is it too late?
Diagnosing HIV early. How effective have we been?
Are you missing your Trichomonas?
Poster presentations – BASHH spring conference 2013
Poster presentations – BASHH/ASTDA spring conference
Does an Extended Azithromycin course affect persistence/recurrence?
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians 2018
- Fellow of the European Committee of Sexual Medicine European Union of Medical Specialists 2016
- Diploma in HIV Medicine Worshipful Society of Apothecaries London 2011
- Diploma in Genitourinary Medicine Worshipful Society of Apothecaries London 2008
- Diploma in Sexual & Reproductive Health Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Health 2008
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 2006
- MBBS University of Sri Jayawardenapura 1998
Reference number 5208629
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT in Genitourinary Medicine , 2011
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians-Edinburgh
· Member of the British Association for Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH)
· Member of the British HIV Association (BHIVA)
· Member of the Faculty of Sexual Health & Reproductive Healthcare
· Member of the European Society for Sexual Medicine
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.