- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
I am currently the most senior childrens surgeon at Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital. I am dedicated to the health and well being of children through a safe and world class surgical practice.
Areas of interest
Paediatric surgery; Paediatric gastroenterology;
Inguinal hernia; umbilical hernia; hydrocoele; undescended testicles; Ano-rectal anomalies;Hirschsprung's Disease; Oesophageal atresia; Neonatal surgery,; Antenatal counselling;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant neonatal and paediatric surgeon at Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital, London.
A wide portfolio of involvement in clinical research and clinical trials.
I am dedicated to training and supporting the next generation of childrens surgeons in the UK. I was the chairman of the largest training consortium for trainee paediatric surgeons (South East England).I represent the South of England on the executive committee of the British Association of Paediatric Surgeons.
In my free time I enjoy sport and cinema and cherishing time with my own family.
I was awarded the gold medal for outstanding performance in the Intercollegiate paediaric Surgical Examination at the end of my training.
5. “The Aetiology of gastroschisis.” Curry JI, McKinney P, Thornton JG, Stringer MD. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 107:1339-1346, 2000.
6. “Erythromycin as a prokinetic agent in infants and children.” Curry JI, Lander TD, Stringer MD. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 15: 595-603, 2001.
7. “Randomised trials in paediatric Surgery. Could we do better.” Curry JI, Reeves B, Stringer MD. J Pediatr Surg. 38: 556-559, 2003.
11. “Paediatric acute abdomen”. Hammond P, Curry J. Hosp Med. 65: 686–9,2004.
16. “Attitudes to consent: A national survey”. Cleeve S, Curry JI. J Pediatr Surg 41: 368-371, 2006 .
1. “The Foreskin.” Curry JI, Griffiths DM. Chapter in “A textbook of paediatric surgery” Atwell J. Arnold Medical Publications.
2. “Intussusception”. Curry JI, Hiorns M. Rob and Smith series on operative surgery. ‘Paediatric surgery’. Hodder Arnold, 2006.
3. “The Metabolic and Endocrine Response to Surgery”. Coates L, Curry JI. Chapter in ‘Pediatric Urology – Surgical Complications and Management’. Blackwell Publishing 2008.
4. “Vascular Malformations”. Patel R, Curry JI. Chapter in ‘Handbook of Paediatric Surgery’. Springer 2010.
5. “The Neurologically Impaired Child” Curry JI. Chapter in Oxford Specialist Handbook – ‘Paediatric Surgery’. Oxford University Press, 2010.
6. “Pyloric Stenosis” Curry JI. Chapter in Oxford Specialist Handbook – ‘Paediatric Surgery’. Oxford University Press, 2010.
7. “Unique considerations in the neonate and infant: Pyloric Stenosis”. Hassett, S. Curry J. (2011). In: Godbole P, Koyle M, Willcox D. Guide to Paediatric Urology and Surgery in Clinical Practice. London: Springer. p253-258.
8. “Unique considerations in the neonate and infant: Intussusception”. Hassett, S. Curry J. (2011). In: Godbole P. Koyle M. Willcox D. Guide to Paediatric Urology and Surgery in Clinical Practice. London: Springer. p259-264.
9. “Intussusception”. Curry JI, Hiorns M. Rob and Smith series on operative surgery. ‘Paediatric surgery’. Hodder Arnold, 2013.
10. “Malrotation”. Curry JI, Lakshminarayanan B. Rob and Smith series on operative surgery. ‘Paediatric surgery’. Hodder Arnold, 2013.
11. “Colostomy: formation and closure”. Curry J. Rob and Smith series on operative surgery. ‘Paediatric surgery’. Hodder Arnold, 2013.
Courses offered to GPs
The general surgery of childhood including how to make correct diagnoses and what to refer and when. This includes such conditions as inguinal hernia and hydrocoele, undescended testes and phimosis.
- MBBS London University 1989
- FRCS RCS of England 1994
- FRCS (Paed Surg) Intercollegiate 2001
- PG Cert (Med Ed) RCPCH (UCL) 2007
- PG Dip (Med Ed) RCPCH (UCL) 2012
Reference number 3322857
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Training Programme Director London School of Surgery 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- Paediatric Surgery , 2002
Affiliations / memberships
Member of faculty of surgical trainers at the Edinburgh Royal College
- Great Ormond StreetLONDONWC1N 3JH
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 020 7762 6943
- Second Floor 215 Great portland Street London
- 09:00 - 12:00
- 020 7762 6943
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
for patients operated on at Great Ormond Street please call 0207 405 9200 and ask for the paediatric surgeon on call
for patients operated on at the Portland Hospital please call 02073908268 and ask for the paediatric bleep holder