- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Awaiz Ahmed graduated from The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University, India in 1997. He was awarded a Gold Medal and stood first in Surgical Exam in the University.
He completed his basic surgical training which was accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh and higher surgical training in Trauma and Orthopaedics in India. He also completed his Masters degree and Thesis during this period.
Having done his higher training in orthopaedics in the UK, he went onto do his Advanced Spinal Fellowships at the University Hospital Southampton and Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
Mr Ahmed was appointed as a Consultant Spinal Orthopaedic Surgeon at Croydon University Hospital NHS Trust in 2017. His current NHS and private practices are in Spinal Surgery. He deals with all aspects of spinal surgery (including degenerative, deformity, tumour, trauma and infection) from cervical, thoracic to lumbosacral spine).
Areas of interest
Back pain treatment; Cervical discectomy; Cervical spine surgery; Epidural for back pain; Lateral lumbar interbody fusion (XLIF); Lumbar disc arthroplasty; Lumbar laminectomy; Lumbar microdiscectomy; Lumbar spinal decompression surgery; Lumbar spine microsurgery; Minimally invasive spinal surgery (MISS); Sciatica; Spinal fusion; Vertebral augmentation for spinal osteoporosis
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedics - Spinal Surgery
Croydon University Hospital. London
Lumbar Facet Replacements
Vertebral Body augmentation for spinal fractures
Spinal surgery in obese
Miller award for best trainer (2019-20)
Smt. Lakshmi Ramanathan Gold Medal in General Surgery & Orthopaedics (1995-96)
Highest mark in University Examination in General Surgery Final M.B.B.S(1995-96)
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Urdu - Fluent
- Tamil - Conversational
1) Mean 5-Year Follow-Up Results of a Facet Replacement Device in the Treatment of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis and Degenerative Spondylolisthesis.
2) Functional Outcome of Kyphoplasty in Osteoporotic Vertebral Fractures in Patients with Severe Disability Above 60 Years of Age: Mid to Long Term Follow up.
3) Efficacy of intra operative cell salvage in pelvic and acetabular fracture surgery. - International Orthopaedics. (June 2018)
4) Encouraging medium-term results of Wallis second generation dynamic stabilisation device. Published April 2018 - Ortopedia Traumatologia Rehabilitacja.
5) Internal fixation of displaced fractures of the proximal humerus with a locked intramedullary blade nail. Accepted April 2018 – Acta Orthopedica Belgica.
6) A rare case of late solitary vertebral metastasis from an adenoidcystic carcinoma of the
lacrimal gland. Accepted May 2017 BMJ Case Reports - bcr-2016-218371.R2
7) Comparison of outcome between obese and non-obese patients after primary lumbar
discectomy. Published in International Journal of Orthopaedics April 2017
8) Medium Term Results Of Non-Rigid Fixation In Degenerative Intervertebral Lumbar
Segments: Wallis System (Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br.), Jan 2012 Abs)
9) Therapeutic Efficacy Of Lumbar Zygapophysea (Facet) Joint Injection In Patients With
Chronic Lower Back Pain (Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br.), May 2009; 91-B: 280 Abs)
10) Preliminary Results Of Non-Rigid Fixation In Degenerative Intervertebral Lumbar
Segments:Wallis System(Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br.),May 2009;91-B:284 Abs).
11) Reduced Disability After Intra-Articular Injections Of Hylan G-F 20 In Symptomatic Hip
Osteoarthritis (Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br.), 2008; 90-B: 552 Abs).
12) Madras Study of traumatic paraplegia – Published in completion of Master’s thesis
2003, The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University. Archived in University
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.britishspineregistry.com
- MBBS THE TAMILNADU DR MGR MEDICAL UNIVERSITY 1997
- FRCS T&O INTER COLLEGIATE 2013
- MASTER IN ORTHOPAEDICS THE TAMILNADU DR MGR MEDICAL UNIVERSITY 2003
- MRCS ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS EDINBURGH 2006
- TRASITIONAL SPINAL FELLOWSHIP STOKE MANDEVILLE HOSPITAL 2016
- ADVANCED SPINAL FELLOWSHIP UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL SOUTHAMPTON 2015
Reference number 6095640
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- EDUCATIONAL LEAD T&O CROYDON UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL 2021
Details of entry to specialist register
- TRAUMA AND ORTHOPAEDICS , 2018
Affiliations / memberships
- Poppy LaneShirley Oaks VillageCROYDONCR9 8AB
- 13:00 - 17:00
- 020 8655 5500
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
020 8655 5500
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: awaiz.ahmed
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Medial branch block injection(s) +/- image guidance (including bilateral) LUMBAR - (5-50)
Shirley Oaks Hospital (1-5)
Nerve Root Block +/- Image Guidance (including Bilateral) LUMBAR - (5-50)
Nerve Root Block +/- Image Guidance (including Bilateral) CAUDAL - (1-5)
Shirley Oaks Hospital (1-5)
Sacroiliac joint injection under image guidance (and bilateral) - (1-5)
Epidural injection (lumbar) - (1-5)
- Show All (10 )...