- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Shoulder & Elbow
- Video and telephone consultations
I have a sub-specialist interest in helping patients suffering with pain or reduced function due to their shoulder or elbow. Management plans are a shared decision making process and are based on evidence. I offer key-hole (arthroscopic) and open surgery.
I am a substantive consultant at Bradford Teaching Hospitals. I undertook fellowships at
- ASAN Medical Centre, Seoul, South Korea (British Orthopaedic Association travelling fellowship)
- University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
I have completed my higher surgical orthopaedic training on the Oswestry-Stoke rotation (West Midlands) spending most of my time at the Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Hospital and University Hospitals of North Midlands.
I have a passion for teaching and hold recognition from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh as a Member of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers (MFSTEd). I am also the technical skills lab lead at Bradford Teaching Hospitals.
I strongly believe in innovation to improve healthcare and outcomes for patients. I am one of the 1st cohorts in the NHS Clinical Entrepreneur Programme. I am the Clinical Lead for the NHS Clinical Insites Programme based at Bradford Teaching Hospitals. This is to bring and adopt innovations into the NHS.
I am active in research and my full research history can be found on my website. I hold 2 research degrees (BSc Hons and MPhil).
Outside of work, I enjoy cricket and football. I have volunteered in a medical capacity at the Commonwealth Games 2002 (Manchester) and 2022 (Birmingham).
Areas of interest
Shoulder; rotator cuff tears (partial, full thickness, irreparable); cuff tendinopathy; subacromial impingement and bursitis; calcific tendinopathy; frozen shoulder; arthritis; shoulder instability; shoulder dislocations; clavicle fractures and dislocations; fracture surgery and sequalae of trauma (non-union and mal-union)
Elbow; ulnar nerve entrapment (cubital tunnel syndrome) or subluxing ulnar nerve; elbow tendinopathies (tennis and golfer’s elbow); olecranon bursitis; arthritis; elbow instability; biceps tendon rupture; fracture surgery and sequalae of trauma (non-union and mal-union)
Carpal tunnel syndrome; trigger finger
Current NHS consultant posts held
Trauma & Orthopaedics (shoulder & elbow) - Bradford Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust
I play an active role in research as I believe this is key to creating change and transformation in healthcare. My commitment to research is demonstrated by my MPhil degree from University of Salford (2016) and BSc (Hons) from the University of Manchester (2002).
I enjoy travelling, football, cricket and spending time with my family.
International Prizes in Trauma or Shoulder & Elbow
1. British Orthopaedic Association (BOA) International Fellowship.
2. Shortlisted for Best Poster Prize at SECEC-ESSSE Congress. Istanbul, Turkey.
3. 1st Prize Podium Presentation at 14th Annual Residents & Fellows Arthroscopy Conference. Florida, U.S.A.
4. British Orthopaedic Association (BOA) Free Papers Prize for Simulation.
5. Runner-up Award in “Innovation in Simulation and Technology Enhanced Learning” at BOA Annual Congress.
please see website for updated list:
1. Reliability Analysis Of Radiological And Intra-operative Loosening In Total Elbow Arthroplasty. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.
2. Revision Total Elbow Arthroplasty: Is it safe to perform a single-stage revision for presumed aseptic loosening based on clinical assessment, normal inflammatory markers and a negative aspiration? Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery,30 (1), pp140-145.
3. The Survivorship of Revision Total Hip Replacement With Severe Proximal Bone Deficiency Using a Modular Taper Fluted Prosthesis.
4. Diagnosis and treatment of patellar tendon gouty tophus. A case report. The Surgery Journal, 5(02), pp.e46-e49
5. Improvement of arthroscopic surgical performance using a new wide-angle arthroscope in the surgical training. PloS one, 14(3), p.e0203578.
6. The Dimensionless Squared Jerk: An Objective Parameter That Improves Assessment of Hand Motion Analysis during Simulated Shoulder Arthroscopy. BioMed Research International, online open access.
7. Total elbow arthroplasty for management of distal humeral non-unions. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 19(3), pp. 97-100.
8. Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty for Non-Traumatic Problems. Orthopaedics and Trauma, 32(3), pp.178-185.
9. Use of sponge heel boots as a temporary splint for paediatric elbow supracondylar fractures. Royal College of Surgeons (England) Annals, 100:1, pp. 79-80
10. Shoulder and Elbow Injuries Related to Motocross Biking - 5 Year Review. International Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 1(2), pp. 044-047.
11. Scapholunate ligament reconstruction using the palmaris longus tendon and suture anchor fixation in chronic scapholunate instability. Indian journal of orthopaedics, 50(6),pp. 616-21.
12. Arthroscopic skills acquisition tools: an online simulator for arthroscopy training. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic & Related Surgery, 31(9), pp. 1671-1679.
13. Who should answer the question: “Can I drive with this plaster cast?”. The Surgeon, 12(1), pp.26-31.
Courses offered to GPs
I regularly teach GP trainees and GPs at local educational events.
- MBChB (Hons) University of Manchester 2005
- BSc (Hons) University of Manchester 2002
- MPhil University of Salford 2016
- FRCS (T&O) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2016
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2008
- MFSTEd Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2019
Reference number 6122271
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma & Orthopaedics , 2017
Affiliations / memberships
British Shoulder and Elbow Society (BESS)
British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCSEng)
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd)
British Medical Association (BMA)