- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Georgoudis is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Whipps Cross University Hospital (Barts Health) since 2018.
He is the lead for the cornea service and is the clinical governance and audit lead for Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross.
He has a special interest in cornea, anterior segment, ocular surface disease and cataract surgery.
He graduated from the Medical School of the University of Athens. After serving in the Hellenic Navy as an Ensign Medical Officer, he specialized in Ophthalmology, training at the Royal Surrey County Hospital, Ashford and St Peterâ€™s Hospital, Epsom & St Helierâ€™s Hospitals, Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre, Dudley Hospital and Bristol Eye Hospital. He is on the Specialist Register for Ophthalmology since March 2011.
He completed a two yearâ€™s Fellowship in Cornea, Anterior Segment and Keratorefractive Surgery at the World renowned Corneoplastic Unit at Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead.
He went on to complete an 18 monthâ€™s Fellowship in Refractive Surgery at Emmetropia Mediterranean Eye Institute in Crete.
He returned to the UK to take a locum consultant post at the Corneoplastic Unit at Queen Victoria hospital, where he provided corneal, glaucoma and cataract services, before he moved to Whipps Cross University Hospital.
He is a member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and a Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology.
He was awarded the 1st place in the European Board of Ophthalmology Exams in 2010 and he received the â€œSpyros Georgarasâ€ Scholarship from the Hellenic Society of Intraocular Implant and Refractive Surgery in 2013.
He has broad experience in the management of corneal disease, keratoconus, corneal transplantation and complex cataract surgery.
He has a keen interest in teaching and is frequently invited as a speaker and faculty to national and international meetings.
Areas of interest
Microincision cataract surgery; Ocular Surface Disease; Dry eyes; Blepharitis; Cornea; Keratoconus; Pterygium Surgery; Fuch's Corneal Dystrophy; General adult ophthalmology; Glaucoma (Medical management)
- Mechelle Duffy
- 07919 563355
Current NHS consultant posts held
Barts Health NHS Trust
Whipps Cross University Hospital
- Prize for Best Paper, British Society of Refractive Surgery (6/2014)
- Â«Spyros GeorgarasÂ» Scholarship, Hellenic Society of Intraocular Implants and Refractive Surgery, 03/2012
- Award for Excellence, The Hellenic Ophthalmological Society, 12/2010
- 1st Prize for Best Overall Performance in the Examination of the European Board of Ophthalmology, 05/2010
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Greek, Modern - Native or bilingual
- Degree in Medicine (Ptychio Iatrikes) University of Athens 1998
- Fellowship in Cornea, Anterior Segment and Keratorefractive surgery Queen Victoria Hospital NHS 2013
Reference number 6078609
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophthalmology , 2011
Affiliations / memberships
- The Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- UK and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons;
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Hellenic Society of Intraocular Implants and Refractive Surgery
- The Holly Private Hospital, High Road,...
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 020 8505 3311
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr P Georgoudis
If not reachable, please contact: Ms Mechelle Duffy