- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Susan Chan was appointed to the post of Consultant Paediatric Allergist at the Evelina Children's Hospital, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in 2009, the largest Children’s Allergy Service in the UK and one of the largest in Europe. She also holds an Honorary Senior Lecturer role at King's College London.
She has extensive experience in treating children with a variety of allergic diseases. This includes children with suspected allergies to food, drugs and inhaled environmental allergens, as well as children with eczema, asthma, hayfever or urticaria. In her NHS service she leads the Joint Allergy and Dermatology Service with Dermatology colleagues, the Joint Allergy Respiratory Service with Respiratory Colleagues, the Chronic Urticaria Service and the Biologicals (anti-IgE, omalizumab or Xolair; mepolizumab) Service.
Her research interests include food allergy prevention and treatment. She was the Principal Investigator on the ADAPT Children's Eczema Study and Investigator on the peanut desensitisation studies being carried out at the Evelina Children's Hospital.
Areas of interest
Paediatric/Children's allergy; Food allergy; Eczema; Asthma & wheeze, Allergic rhinitis & hayfever; Desensitisation / Immunotherapy to house dust mite, tree and grass pollen, pets and animals; Drug allergy
Current NHS consultant posts held
Clinical Research Consultant in Paediatric Allergy and Deputy Head of Service, Department of Paediatric Allergy, Evelina Children’s Hospital, Guy’s and St Thomas’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London.
Food allergy prevention and treatment, as well as eczema.
Principal Investigator on the ADAPT Children's Eczema Study
Investigator on peanut desensitisation studies
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Chinese - Basic
• Palomares O, Untersmayr E, Gutermuth J, Agache I, Ajeganova S, Bavbek S, Chan S, Jutel M, Quirce S, Schmid-Grendelmeier P, Schmidt-Weber C, Torres MJ, Eiwegger T. Biologicals in allergic diseases and asthma: Towards personalized medicine and precision health. Highlights of the 3rd EAACI Master Class on Biologicals, San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Madrid, Spain, 2019 Allergy
• Chan SMH, Cro S, Cornelius V, Jahan R, Radulovic S, Lack G. Omalizumab for severe atopic dermatitis in 4- to 19-year-olds: the ADAPT RCT. Efficacy Mech Eval 2019;6
• Chan SMH, Cornelius V, Cro S, Harper J, Lack G. A randomised controlled clinical trial of omalizumab for severe paediatric atopic dermatitis. JAMA Pediatrics
• Foong R, Brough HA, Chan S, et al US guidelines for the prevention of peanut allergy 2017 Archives of Disease in Childhood - Education and Practice Published Online: 24 November 2017.
• Chen T, Chan S et al. Trials (2017) 18:231 The role of anti-IgE (omalizumab/Xolair) in the management of severe recalcitrant paediatric atopic eczema (ADAPT): statistical analysis plan
• Chan S et al. Trials (2017) 18:136 Atopic Dermatitis Anti-IgE Paediatric Trial (ADAPT): the role of anti-IgE in severe paediatric eczema: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial
• Santos AF, Bécares N, Wu S-Y, Stephens S, Radulovic S, Chan SMH, Fox AT, Du Toit G, Turcanu V, Lack G. Basophil activation test discriminates between allergy and tolerance among peanut sensitized children.
• Du Toit G, Roberts G, Sayre PH, Plaut M, Bahnson HT, Mitchell H, Radulovic S, Chan S, Fox A, Turcanu V, Lack G; Learning Early About Peanut Allergy (LEAP) Study Team. Identifying infants at high risk of peanut allergy: the Learning Early About Peanut Allergy (LEAP) screening study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Jan;131(1):135-43
• Chan SMH , Dumitru C, Turcanu V. Molecular diagnosis of peanut allergy Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2012 Nov;12(8):879-91
• Dumitru C, Chan SMH, Turcanu V. Role of Leukotriene Receptor Antagonists in the Management of Pediatric Asthma: an update. Paediatr Drugs. 2012 Oct 1;14(5):317-30.
• Chan SMH, Turcanu V, Stephens AC, Fox AT, Grieve, AP, Lack G. CLA T lymphocyte responses are associated with peanut allergy whilst α4β7 responses are associated with tolerance. Allergy 2012; 67:336-342
Courses offered to GPs
- MBBS University of London 1994
- MSc in Clinical Paediatrics University College London 2004
- MD King’s College London 2010
- FRCPCH Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health 2015
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians 2016
Reference number 4111029
Affiliations / memberships
British Medical Association
British Society for Allergy & Clinical Immunology
European Academy of Allergy & Clinical Immunology
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Follow-up out-patient consultation - remote - (1-5)