- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Paediatric immunology, infectious diseases & allergy
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Pastacaldi is a specialist in paediatric allergy with 20 years' experience in management of allergic conditions including food allergy, anaphylaxis, hay fever, allergic rhinitis and conjunctivitis, chronic urticaria and angioedema.
She started her career in Italy, where she qualified as an MD at the University of Genoa and specialised in Paediatrics at the Gaslini Childrens’ Hospital. After moving to the UK in 2002, she set up a Paediatric Allergy Service at Singleton Hospital in Swansea. Dr Pastacaldi obtained an MSc in Allergy from the University of Southampton in 2009; she has actively participated in clinical research, contributing to peer-reviewed publications in scientific journals.
She recently worked as Honorary Consultant at the Royal Alexandra Children's Hospital in Brighton and currently offers private consultations at the Montefiore Hospital in Brighton.
Areas of interest
allergy; paediatric allergy; food allergy; hay fever; allergic rhinitis and conjunctivitis; angioedema; anaphylaxis; chronic urticaria;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Although I recently retired from full time NHS duties, I am still included in the Locum Consultant Bank for Brighton And Sussex University NHS Trust.
My research interests focused on clinical research in the area of allergy and respiratory diseases, this resulted in publications in Peer-reviewed journals.
I have conducted a systematic review and metaanalysis of studies investigating the role of Staphilococcus aureus Superantigens in the pathogenesis of allergic respiratory diseases.
I have participated in multicentre studies on the treatment and management of allergic conditions in children.
Between 2011 and 2015 I have been a member of the Asthma and Allergy Research Development Group for Swansea University.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Italian - Native or bilingual
1. Jolles S, Williams P, Carne E, Mian H, Huissoon A, Wong G, Hackett S, Lortan J, Platts V, Longhurst H, Grigoriadou S, Dempster J, Deacock S, Khan S, Darroch J, Simon C, Thomas M, Pavaladurai V, Alachkar H, Herwadkar A, Abinun M, Arkwright P, Tarzi M, Helbert M, Bangs C, Pastacaldi C, Phillips C, Bennett H, El-Shanawany T.
A UK national audit of hereditary and acquired angioedema.
Clinical and Experimental Immunology 2014;175(1):59-67.
2. C. Pastacaldi, J. Walton, L. Noimark and C. Sullivan.
Auto-injectable adrenaline still largely underused for treatment of anaphylaxis: data of the Swansea Paediatric Allergy Clinic.
The Welsh Paediatric Journal 2011, vol.35.
3. L. Noimark, J. Wales, G. Du Toit, C. Pastacaldi, et al.
The use of adrenaline auto-injectors by children and teenagers.
Clinical and Experimental Allergy 2011;42:284-292.
4. C. Pastacaldi, P.D. Lewis and P. Howarth.
Staphylococci and staphylococcal superantigens in asthma and rhinitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
5. C. Pastacaldi and C. Sullivan.
Paediatric allergy services in primary and secondary care in South West Wales.
The Welsh Paediatric Journal 2009;31:37
6. C. Pastacaldi and P. Howarth
Staphylococcal Superantigens in the pathogenesis of allergic respiratory diseases: a systematic review.
Clinical and Experimental Allergy 2009;39:1945.
7. C. Pastacaldi, C. Sullivan and J. Walton
Anaphylaxis in a violin player: an unusual manifestation of horse hair allergy.
Clinical and Experimental Allergy 2007;37:1880-1881.
- FRCPCH Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health 2005
- MSc Allergy University of Southampton 2009
- MD University of Genoa, Italy 1987
Reference number 6057153
Details of entry to specialist register
- Paediatrics , 2002
Affiliations / memberships
British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
British Medical Association
Surrey and Sussex Paediatric Allergy Network
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.