- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Not in Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
I am an ophthalmic surgeon, based in Edinburgh, with a diverse practice comprising cataract surgery, adult general ophthalmology and an additional specialist interest in paediatric ophthalmology and children's eye problems.
Having obtained my primary medical degree in South Africa, I moved to the UK in 2003 where I trained initially in general surgical specialties, before entering ophthalmic specialist training in Edinburgh, where I ultimately took up my NHS consultant post after becoming a Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists in 2014.
Being passionate about all aspects of ophthalmology, I particularly enjoy relating to patients and their families, providing high quality patient-centered care. I perform small incision phacoemulsification cataract surgery and adult general ophthalmic consultations, whilst also delivering a busy regional specialist paediatric ophthalmic service at the Royal Hospital for Children and Young People, Edinburgh. I participate actively in research, education and management activities at the Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion in Edinburgh and am registered for private practice at Spire Shawfair Park Hospital.
Away from work, I enjoy spending time with my wife and three children and recharge with time outdoors cycling and kitesurfing.
Areas of interest
Adult general ophthalmology; adult cataract; paediatric ophthalmology; paediatric squint treatment including paediatric squint surgery
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist - NHS Lothian
Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, St John's Hospital, Livingston and Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh
Benefits of cataract surgery for human cognition and circadian function
Saccadic Vector Optokinetic Perimetry as a novel means of testing visual fields in children
Inter-observer variation in the grading and management of retinopathy of prematurity
1. Beck D, Burgess, F, Schmoll C. Bilateral cataracts as the presenting feature of type 1 diabetes in an 11-year-old girl. BMJ Case Reports 2018
2. Murray IC, Schmoll C, Perperidis A, Brash H, McTrusty A, Cameron L, Wilkinson A, Mulvihill A, Fleck B, Minns RA. Detection and characterisation ofvisual fields defects using Saccadic Vector Optokinetic Perimetry in children with brain tumours. Eye 2018
4. Burgess FR, Davies R, Mulvihill AO, Schmoll C. Comment on: ‘An international comparison of retinopathy of prematurity grading performance within the Benefits of Oxygen Saturation Targeting II trials’. Eye 2018
5. Jeganathan VSE, Schmoll C, Agarwal P. Is phacoemulsification with viscosynechiolysis effective for angle closure glaucoma? Promising results from a pilot study. January 2016 DOI10.15761/NFO.1000127
6. Fu L, Schmoll C, Wyatt G, Collins C. Comment on: The incidence of serious eye injury in Scotland: A prospective study. Eye 2015
7. Schmoll C, Khan A, Aspinall P et al. New light for old eyes: comparing the melanopsin-mediated non-visual benefits of blue-light and UV-blocking intraocular lenses. Br J Ophthalmol 2013
8. Schmoll C, McAtamney S, Madill S. Identification of Epstein-Barr virus in a case of aggressive retinochoroiditis. Eye 2013
9. Moragas-Garrido M, Goudie C, Schmoll C, Madill S, Farrall A, Davenport R. Seizure, dysphasia, blindness and amnesia; what’s the connection? Pract Neurol 2013
10. Theodoropoulou S, Schmoll C, Templeton K, Dhillon Bal. Atypical Toxoplasmic Retinochoroiditis. BMJ Case Reports 2012 May.
11. Schmoll C, Tendo C, Aspinall P, Dhillon B. Reaction time as a measure of enhanced blue-light mediated cognitive function following cataract surgery. Br J Ophthalmol 2011
12. Schmoll C, Lascaratos G, Dhillon B, Skene D, Riha R. The role of retinal regulation of sleep in health and disease. Sleep Med Rev 2011 Apr;15(2):107-13
13. Schmoll C, Hegde V, Bennett H, Singh J. Spontaneous resolution of a rhegmatogenous retinal detachment following normal labour and childbirth. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports 2012
14. Schmoll C, Devlin H, Foster P. Uveal effusion syndrome as a complication of cyclodiode therapy in nanophthalmos glaucoma. Eye 2011
15. Schmoll C, MacRae M, Mulvihill A, Murray R, Cunningham S, McKenzie K. Tuberculous dacryoadenitis in a Scottish teenager. Br J Ophthalmol 2009
16. Mitry D, Schmoll C, Hegde V, Borooah S, Singh J, Bennett H. Use of pegaptanib in the treatment of idiopathic retinal vasculitis. Eye 2008
- MRCSEd Diploma Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2005
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2014
- MBChB University of Pretoria 2000
Reference number 6062435
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists RCOphth 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council UK (Full, specialist registration with a licence to practise - Ophthalmology) , 2015
- Spire Shawfair Park Hospital, 10 Easter...
- 09:00 - 11:30
- 0131 654 5600
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Contact via Shawfair park Reception on:
0131 654 5601
0131 654 5600
or contact me by email:
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Yag laser photodisruption of posterior capsule of lens (including laser capsulotomy) - unilateral - (1-5)
Ultrasound phacoemulsification of cataract, with lens implant - unilateral (including topical or local anaesthetic) - (1-5)
Excision of lesion of eyelid - (1-5)
Surgical correction of squint - unilateral - (1-5)