- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Foot & Ankle
- Video and telephone consultations
I completed my higher surgical training in Orthopaedics at Alexandria University Hospital. I was granted Master Degree in Trauma & Orthopaedics in 2006. In 2012 ,I cleared the Intercollegiate Specialty Board exam FRCS (Trauma-Orth). In 2014, I was awarded a place on one of the most sought after and highly regarded advanced foot & ankle training fellowships In Wirral university teaching hospitals. On 2015, I was Appointed as foot & ankle consultant in Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals. I am Currently practising as Foot & ankle consultant at University hospitals of Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust. I am a dedicated foot and ankle surgeon who treats all conditions from simple to complex with no problem being too small.
Areas of interest
I treat the full spectrum of foot and ankle disorders and my philosophy is to maintain a pain free joint function & movement .
MINIMALLY lNVASIVE SURGERY (MIS)
I have special interest in MIS foot & Ankle surgery:
• MIS Bunion excision, Hammer Toe & Tailor Bunions.
• MIS Hindfoot surgery eg Flat foot & high arched foot.
- Forefoot deformities e.g. Bunion .
- Arthritis of foot e.g. Big toe,Mid & Hindfoot .
- Anterior & Posterior Ankle arthroscopy e.g. Impingement & Micro-fracture.
- Arthroscopic Ankle Fusion.
- Subtalar Arthroscopy.
- Hind-foot Endoscopy e.g. Achilles Tendinopathy.
- Big Toe arthroscopy.
FOOT & ANKLE INJURIES
- Ankle & Foot fractures e.g. Talus & Calcaneum.
- Sports injuries : Instability.
- Dance injuries
- Plantar plate tear.
- Tendon injuries :Tibialis Anterior & Posterior ruptures.
- Heel pain :.Plantar fascitis , Shockwave therapy .
- Morton’s Neuroma
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Foot & Ankle specialist.
University Hospitals of Birmingham
Clinical Governance Lead.
Research is my passion. I was involved in multiple research projects including:
- Evaluation of the results of surgical treatment of distal Tibial fractures by fibula-pro tibia fixation.
- Evaluation of Operative Fixation of Hand Phalangeal Unstable Fractures Using Non Spanning External Minifixator .
- Use of Calcium Sulphate paste with tailored antibiotics for Salvage of Chronic Diabetic feet Infections.
- Microbiology Culture Analysis in Primary v Recurrent Diabetic Foot Infections .
- Health Related Quality of life in diabetic population with foot complications.
- Intraoperative tissue biopsy in infected foot and ankle surgery cases: Do we need touse a new scalpel for each sampling sites? .
- Correlation between Footedness & Handedness .
- Complications of anterior & posterior ankle Arthroscopy a literature review.
- Hindfoot nail for unstable ankle fractures in the elderly, a systematic review/
Outside of medicine I have several interests, including swimming, Which I represented my country in multiple tournaments. For 6 years in medical school I was the chief organiser of Drug Donation campaign to the poor who can’t afford buying their own medicine. I am a registered Blood donor, & I donate blood every 12 weeks. I enjoy spending my spare time with my wife and two kids, exploring the beautiful British countryside.
TOTY 2019 :
I was voted Trainer of the year for Coventry & Warwickshire by the deanery trainees in 2019. I have been shortlisted for the national UK Trainer of the year award
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Native or bilingual
I have multiple publications in peer reviewed journals:
-Is it necessary to change instruments between sampling sites when taking multiple tissue specimens in musculoskeletal infections?
- A literature review of the complications following anterior & posterior ankle arthroscopy.
- A Systematic Review of the Evidence for
Intramedullary Hindfoot Nailing in Elderly
Patients with Unstable Ankle Fractures.
- Chronic Ankle instability in paediatric population: a case series and literature review.
- Treatment of intra-articular calcaneal fracture with temporary external fixator and open Reduction internal fixation.
- Complications of anterior and posterior Ankle Arthroscopy: a review article .
- Bilateral Osteonecrosis of the Femoral and Humeral Heads after Short Term High Dose Corticosteroid Therapy. A Case Report .
- Assessment of accuracy of Pittsburgh decision rules for optimizing the use of radiography in patients with acute knee injuries .
- Intra-osseous Epidermoid cyst of the distal phalanx of a finger: a case report .
- Anterior interosseous nerve palsy as a complication of proximal humerus fracture: case report.
- Upper limb deep venous thrombosis following a simple clavicle fracture, a case report.
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.doctify.com/uk/specialist/mr_gamal_el_1/reviews
- FRCS (Trauma-Orth) Intercollegiate Trauma & Orthopaedic surgery Board 2012
- Masters of orthopaedics MCHOrth (Alex) Alexandria University Hospitals 2006
- MRCS (England) Royal college of surgeons of England 2008
- Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery Excellent Grade with Honour Alexandria University Hospitals 2002
Reference number 7046037
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Trauma & Orthopaedics Clinical Governance Lead University Hospitals of Birmingham NHS Trust 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC 7046037 , 2015
Affiliations / memberships
• Royal College of Surgeon of England .
• European Foot & Ankle Society (EFAS).
• British Medical Association .(BMA)
• AO Trauma Member .
• Heart of England Foot & Ankle Society (HEFAS).
- Little Aston Hall Drive Little Aston SUTTON...
- 17:30 - 20:00
- 0121 353 2444
- Little Aston Hall DriveLittle AstonSUTTON...
- 16:00 - 19:00
- 0121 353 7151
- Spire Parkway Hospital 1 Damson Parkway,...
- 17:30 - 20:00
- 0121 364 1600
- Spire Parkway Hospital1 Damson...
- 15:00 - 19:00
- 0121 704 5500
- Sutton Medical Consulting Centre. 233 Tamworth...
- 17:00 - 19:00
- 0121 308 7774
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Alison Fogarty , Secretary
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Cryosurgery of minor peripheral nerve (e.g. Mortons Neuroma) +/- ultrasound guidance +/- bursa +/- nerve stimulation - (1-5)
Osteotomies (eg scarf and akin) for Hallux Valgus correction with or without internal fixation and soft tissue correction - (1-5)
Multiple arthroscopic operations on ankle (including soft tissue, bony and/or joint surface procedures without ligament reconstruction) - (1-5)
Multiple procedure on forefoot, distal to and including the tarsometatarsal joints, which involves at least two distinct procedures not intrinsic to each other - (1-5)
Major release of muscle for pain or contracture (e.g. quadriceps) (involving large joint) - (1-5)
- Show All (12 )...