- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
I qualified as a doctor in 2007 and completed my Radiology training in 2015 during which I undertook further specialist MSK training at the world renowned Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford and my fellowship at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham. Working at these specialist orthopaedic and tumour centres has allowed me to fine tune my skills and expertise in MSK Radiology. I have given national lectures, published numerous peer-reviewed articles and written book chapters on MSK.
Areas of interest
Orthopaedics; Rheumatology; Sport Injury imaging; Soft tissue and bone tumour; Image guided joint and nerve root injection; Soft tissue and bone biopsy; Spine imaging
Current NHS consultant posts held
University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
MSK radiology, tumour imaging.
I have over 10 peer-reviewed publications and have presented both oral and poster presentations at national and international levels. I have written book chapters on soft tissue tumours.
I enjoy socialising with my family and friends and eating different cuisines. I try to balance this with keeping fit at the gym (though not found the right balance yet according to my wife!)
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Gujarati - Conversational
Paramesparan K, Shah A, Rennie WJ. Guide to pseudotumours and soft tissue tumour mimics. 31 (2017) pp. 204-215 DOI information: 10.1016/j.mporth.2017.03.010
• Shah A, Davies AM, James SL, Botchu R. A diagnostic approach to popliteal fossa masses. Clin Radiol. 2016 Dec 19. pii: S0009-9260(16)30458-5. doi: 10.1016/j.crad.2016.11.010.
• Shah A, Dunlop D, Botchu R, Davies AM, James SL Metal on metal total hip arthroplasty associated with adverse local tissue reaction and pseudoaneurysm of the superior gluteal artery – a case report and literature review. In submission
• Shah A, James SL, Botchu R, Davies AM, Heterotopic ossification of the radial tuberosity- a tumour mimic. Clin Radiol. 2016 Jan;71(1):74-8. doi: 10.1016/j.crad.2015.10.010. Epub 2015 Nov 18.
• Shah A, Best AJ, Rennie WJ. Percutaneous ultrasound guided TOPAZ radiofrequency coblation: a novel co-axial technique for the treatment of recalcitrant plantar fasciitis. J Ultrasound Med. 2016 Jun;35(6):1325-31. doi: 10.7863/ultra.15.06085. Epub 2016 May 9
• Shah A, Botchu R, Grainger MF Davies AM, James SL (2015) Acute symptomatic calcific discitis in adults - a case report and review of literature. Skeletal Radiology. July 2015 PMID: 26160461
• Shah A, Shah R, Tyagi R, Botchu R (2015) Intramuscular Extramedullary Plasmacytoma in Gluteus Medius Muscle: A Case Report and Literature Review. Int J Dent Med Spec 2(2):28-31
• Shah A, Botchu R, Ashford R, Rennie WJ (2015) Diagnostic triage for sarcoma: An effective model for reducing referrals to the MDT. Br J Radiol. 20:20150037.
• Shah A, Heir MK, Botchu R, Rennie WJ (2015). Calcific myonecrosis - a 'do not touch' lesion. DOI: 10.1594/EURORAD/CASE.12203
• Shah A, Amin M, Sriram H, Botchu R (2014). Improving efficiency and decreasing scanning time of ultrasound examination of the shoulder with the use of a poster showing proper shoulder positioning to the patient. J Clin Ultrasound. doi: 10.1002/jcu.22253.
• Botchu R, Shah A, Jakanani G, Esler CN, Rennie WJ (2014) Parameniscal cyst- A rare cause of popliteal artery compression. Treatment with US guided decompression. West Indian Medical Journal. DOI: 10.7727/wimj.2013.218
• Shah A, Shah R, Heir MK, Botchu R (2014) Post-laparoscopic cholecystectomy abdominal wall biloma. DOI:10.1594/EURORAD/CASE.12118
• Shah A, Botchu R, Rennie WJ (2013) Flexor Hallucis Longus Loose Bodies – An Unusual Cause of Plantar Midfoot Pain. OMICS J Radiology 2:152.
- Fellowship of Royal of College of Radiologists RCR 2013
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery University of Leicester 2007
- Bachelor of Science University of Leicester 2003
- Fellowship Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham 2015
- Fellowship Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford 2014
Reference number 6143902
Details of entry to specialist register
- Clinical Radiology , 2015
Affiliations / memberships
General Medical Council (GMC)
Royal College of Radiologists (RCR)
International Skeletal Society (ISS)
British Society of Skeletal Radiologists (BSSR)
European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiologists (ESSR)
American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS)
British Medical Association (BMA)
Hospital Consultant and Specialist Associates (HCSA)
British Indian Skeletal Society (BISS)
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Injection(s) +/- aspiration, into joint, cyst, bursa with image guidance - (5-50)
Intramuscular injection(s) with x-ray control (e.g. piriformis block) - (1-5)
Shoulder hydrodistension +/- image guidance - (1-5)
Ultrasound guided biopsy(ies) - (1-5)