- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Not in Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
I am a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in Hip and Knee Surgery. My NHS practice is based at York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, and Clifton Park NHS Treatment Centre. I also perform private clinical work at Clifton Park Hospital, and Nuffield Health York Hospital, as well as sitting on the committee for the United Kingdom Knee Osteotomy Registry (UKKOR).
Since qualifying in 2001 I have worked round the world, particularly in Australia gaining experience in leading lower limb surgical units. I have extensive experience in a wide range of procedures covering many aspects of hip and knee pathology. I have a specialist interest in joint preserving surgery such as hip arthroscopy, soft tissue knee surgery and knee osteotomies, as well as Joint replacement surgery.
Fundamental to my approach is taking the time to listen to and examine my patients. All my treatment plans are a collaboration between myself, the therapist and most importantly the patient. We will discuss with you the different options to improve your quality of life, and a return to activities and sport that may have previously not been possible.
If I can be of further assistance, please get in touch.
Areas of interest
My area of interest is in:
- knee pain
- hip pain
- sports injuries to the hip and knee
This has meant I have specialised into 2 main areas
1. Knee and Hip preserving surgery such as:
- soft tissue knee surgery:
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
- Multi-ligament surgery
- meniscal repair, meniscal transplantation
- knee osteotomies:
- High tibial osteotomies
- Distal femoral osteotomies
- hip arthroscopy:
- femoroacetabular impingement surgery
- labral repair
2. Knee and Hip Arthroplasty (Replacement) surgery:
- Primary Total Hip replacements;
- Unicompartmental knee replacements;
- Primary Total Knee replacements;
- Revision Knee replacements;
- Catherine Ray
- Orthopaedic Department York Teaching Hospital Wigginton Road York YO31 8HE
- 07596 330082
Anaesthetists worked with
- North Yorkshire Orthopaedic Specialists
- United Kingdom Knee Osteotomy Registry
- Nuffield York Hospital Profile
- Osteotomy Expert Group
- Clifton Park Hospital Profile
Current NHS consultant posts held
Orthopaedic Consultant York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Board member of the United Kingdom Knee Osteotomy Registry
Joint preserving techniques around the:
- femoroacetabular impingement surgery
- labral repair and replacement surgery
- outcomes following knee osteotomy
- ligament reconstruction techniques
- meniscal scaffold and transplantation
- Cartilage regeneration techniques
I continue to enjoy playing sport when possible. Rugby has been ruled out owing to injury and age, however I continue to play cricket and golf socially. While in Melbourne I took up open water swimming,
competing in various races along the Great Ocean Road. I also enjoy skiing, sailing and recently taken up cycling since moving to York. I enjoy cooking entertaining and travelling, and through my wifeâ€™s interests, I am beginning to appreciate contemporary art.
1. Smith Jo, Yasen SK, Palmer HC, Lord BR, Britton EM, WilsonAJ
Paediatric ACL repair reinforced with temporary internal bracing.
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016 Jun; 24(6): 1845-51. PMID 27141865
2. Britton E, Nash W.
"The new neck of femur fracture target: experience in a district general hospitalâ€.
Int J Health Care Quality Assurance. 2014; 27 (1): 36-43. PMID: 24660516
3. Britton E, Fazal MA.
Nonunion of an isolated cuboid fracture: a case report.
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2013;103(3):233-5. PMID: 23697730
4. Mula V, Mandal A, Britton E, Shanker VS.
Direct bony invasion of malignant melanoma.
Indian J of Orthopaedics. 2009 Oct; 43(4): 420-3. PMID: 19838397
5. Britton E, Chamber C, and Ashmore A.
Orthopaedic Procedure Coding. Does accuracy matter?
Int J of Health Care Quaility Assurance. 2009; 22 (4). PMID: 19725213
6. Al-Nammari SS, Tibrewal S, Britton EM.
Management outcome and the role of manipulation in slipped capital femoral epiphysis.
Hong Kong J of Orthopaedic Surgery 2008; 16(1): 131.
7. Al-Nammari SS, Tibrewal S, Britton EM, Farrar NG.
Management outcome and the role of manipulation in slipped capitol femoral epiphysis.
J of Orthopaedic Surgery (Hong Kong) 2008; 16(1): 131PMID: 18453680
8. Britton E, Shergill IS, Stoker DL.
The Third dimension: itâ€™s behind you!
Hospital Medicine 2002; 63 (9): 563. PMID: 12357866
Accepted for publication (awaiting publication data)
â€¢ Paediatric Spinal Fractures â€“ Paediatric Orthopaedic Trauma Book
Courses offered to GPs
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.njrcentre.org.uk
- MB BS St Bartholomew's and The Royal London Medical School 2001
- BSc (Orthopaedic Sciences) University College London 2000
- MRCS The Royal College of Surgeons of England 2005
- FRCS (Trauma and Orthopaedics) The Royal College of Surgeons of England 2011
- Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) Trauma and Orthopaedics The Royal College of Surgeons of England 2013
- Advice Trauma Life Support ATLS 2012
- Lower Limb Arthroplasty and Pelvic Trauma Fellowship The Royal Melbourne Hospital 2013
- Lower Limb Arthroplasty and Soft Tissue Fellowship Ashford and St Peters Hospital NHS Foundation Trust 2014
- Soft tissue Knee Fellowship North Hampshire Hospital Basingstoke 2015
Reference number 6027577
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Board Member United Kingdom Knee Osteotomy Registry 2015
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery , 2013
Affiliations / memberships
General Medical Council (GMC)
British Medical Association (BMA)
British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
British Hip Society (BHS)
British Association for Surgery of the Knee (BASK)
- Bluebeck Drive Shipton Road YORK YO30 5RA
- 14:30 - 20:30
- 01904 7265844
- Haxby Road YORK YO31 8TA
- 08:00 - 20:30
- 01904 7265844
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
If treated at the :
- Nuffield York please contact the Ward on -
- Clifton Park Hospital please contact the Ward on -
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Multiple arthroscopic operation on knee (including meniscectomy, chondroplasty, drilling or microfracture) - (5-50)
Unicompartmental knee replacement - (1-5)
Removal of internal fixation from bone / joint, excluding K-wires +/- image guidance - (1-5)
Primary total hip replacement +/- cement - (1-5)
ExCon - Further Discretionary Payment - (1-5)
- Show All (8 )...