- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- General urology
- Urinary tract stones
- Urological oncology
- Video and telephone consultations
I am a Consultant Urological Surgeon at Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, working at Manchester Royal Infirmary and Wythenshawe Hospital. I practice all components of general urology including the management of prostatic disease, kidney stone, recurrent urinary tract infections, overactive bladder, blood in urine, and scrotal surgery. I have a sub-specialist interest in robotic and laparoscopic kidney and ureteric surgeries including partial or total nephrectomy for kidney cancer or benign disease, pelvi-ureteric obstruction and ureteric re-implantation.
I undertook specialist urological training in the Northwest Deanery, which led to the accreditation of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in July 2014. I have gained further specialist experience in kidney stones and robotic surgery at centres in Amsterdam, Strasbourg and Wurzburg. I am one of the highest volume surgeon for robotic kidney surgery in the Northwest and I’m actively involved in mentoring consultants and trainees in robotic partial nephrectomy.
I take part in the endometriosis team at St Mary’s Hospital in Manchester providing minimally invasive surgery for complex endometriosis involving the bladder or ureters.
I am an active researcher with over 30 publications and numerous presentations at international and national conferences. I have received my research doctorate (MD with honours) from the University of Hull after an intensive study of prostate cancer multi-parametric magnetic resonance imaging. I focus on optimizing patients’ diagnostic and treatment pathways with the aim of enhancing surgical outcomes.
I have led the undergraduate teaching in surgery for 7 years, and I am currently a senior honorary lecturer at the University of Manchester. Furthermore, I lead the kidney cancer module for Northwest Urology MSc degree. I am a qualified educational supervisor having completed Post Graduate Medical Education training in 2014.
I was proud to be recognised as the best trainer of the year for Urology in 2021.
Areas of interest
- Robotic and laparoscopic kidney surgery, including partial or total nephrectomy for kidney cancer or benign disease, pelvi-ureteric obstruction and ureteric re-implantation.
- Minimally invasive surgery for complex endometriosis involving the bladder or ureters.
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust.
Manchester Royal Infirmary
MD degree on multiparametric MRI in prostate cancer
Leading Urology MSc for renal cancer module in Northwest.
Multiple papers and international & national presentations
First UK Recruit for Innovative Renal Cancer Trial.
Robotic and laparoscopic surgery
Kidney stone disease
Bladder and ureteric management in endometriosis
General urology including benign prostate enlargement, urinary tract infections, overactive bladder, haematuria
Recognised teacher in Manchester University. Medical students area lead for surgery.
Honorary senior lecturer at University of Manchester
Clinical Excellent Awards in Lancashire Teaching Hospitals
Best trainer of the year for Urology in 2021
1. Current process and outcomes of the surgical management of LUTS due to benign prostatic enlargement: how consistent are we? – results from the multi-institutional audit of surgical management of BPE(AuSuM BPE) in the United Kingdome.
Scottish Medical Journal. 2021 January
2. Bedside teaching during the Covid-19 pandemic
Stauss M, Breed H, Chatfield K, Madhavi P, Zelhof B, Woywodt A
The Clinical Teacher. 2020 December; PMID: 33319476
3. Renal artery embolization immediately prior to emergency trauma nephrectomy
Simpson R, Mathew A, Zelhof B
Journal of Clinical Urology. 2020 May; Issue 5 Vol 13
4. Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy in Patients With Chronic Kidney Disease: Efficacy and Safety.
Jones P, Aboumarzouk OM, Zelhof B, Mokete M, Rai BP, Somani BK.
Urology. 2017 Oct; 108:1-6. PMID: 28528858
5. Retrograde Endourological Management of Upper Urinary Tract Abnormalities in Patients with Ileal Conduit Urinary Diversion: A Dual-Center Experience.
Olson L, Satherley H, Cleaveland P, Zelhof B, Mokete M, Neilson D, Srirangam S.
J Endourol. 2017 Sep;31(9):841-846. PMID: 28723230
6. Screening for prostate cancer in renal transplant candidates: single centre experience over 10 years
Aleckovic-Halilovic M, Zelhof B, Solomon L, Ahmed A, Woywodt A
Journal of Clinical Urology, vol. 10, 5: pp. 457-463. Published February 1, 2017
7. Nephrectomy for benign disease in the UK: results from the British Association of Urological Surgeons nephrectomy database.
Zelhof B, McIntyre IG, Fowler SM, Napier-Hemy RD, Burke DM, Grey BR
British Journal of Urology International (BJUI), 2016 Jan;117(1):138-44. PMID: 25824808
8. Dissolution of extensive urolithiasis: extending the utility of Rasburicase can avoid the need for surgical intervention and renal replacement therapy.
Rezvani S, Zelhof B, Hutchison A, Selby P, Picton M, Grey BR
J Surg Case Rep. 2016 Feb 24;2016(2). PMID: 26917728
9. Description of magnetic resonance imaging-derived enhancement variables in pathologically confirmed prostate cancer and normal peripheral zone regions.
Zelhof B, Lowry M, Rodrigues G, Kraus S, Turnbull L.
BJU Int. 2009 Sep;104(5):621-7. PMID: 19281464
Courses offered to GPs
Organised seminars at Fulwood Hall Hospital
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.baus.org.uk/patients/surgical_outcomes/nephrectomy/default.aspx
- MD with Honors University of Hull 2008
- Completion of specialist training Royal College of Surgeons 2014
Reference number 5198700
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC specialist register , 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the British Association of Urological Surgeon
Member of the European Association of Urology
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Eaton AvenueMatrix ParkBuckshaw...
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 01257 237021
- Midgery LaneFulwoodPRESTONPR2 9SZ
- 13:00 - 17:00
- 01772 704111
- pall mall medical, Manchester
- 17:00 - 19:00
- 0330 058 4455
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
My self via Buckshaw or Fulwood hall hospitals
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Diagnostic endoscopic examination of bladder (flexible cystoscopy) including any biopsy - (5-50)
Circumcision - (5-50)
Endoscopic fragmentation of calculi of kidney (including cystoscopy and insertion/removal of stent) - (1-5)
Transperineal template-guided biopsies of the prostate under image guidance - (1-5)
Alexandra Hospital (1-5)
Endoscopic examination of bladder (rigid cystoscopy) including any biopsy - (1-5)
Ramsay Oaklands Hospital (1-5)
- Show All (11 )...