- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Reconstructive surgery
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr William Townley read medical sciences at Clare College, Cambridge and clinical medicine at Brasenose College, Oxford. He returned to London to complete basic surgical training and then undertook a two-year research degree at the RAFT Institute (University College London) leading to the award of MD.
He then completed specialist training in Plastic surgery in London and Oxford. He spent a year of further subspecialist training (Breast, Head and Neck) in Toronto, Canada, followed by six months working as a Consultant Plastic Surgeon in British Columbia. Throughout his career, William has been keenly interested in clinical research and improving treatment outcomes. He has published nearly 30 articles in peer-reviewed journals and is an author of several book chapters. During his time in Oxford, he was appointed an Honorary Fellow in Medicine at Brasenose College.
As well as a private cosmetic practice, William runs a busy NHS reconstructive practice as a Consultant Plastic Surgeon at Guyâ€™s and St. Thomasâ€™ NHS Foundation Trust where he is Head of Plastic Surgery. His main areas of expertise are corrective surgery for patients with facial paralysis and head and neck cancer reconstruction. This involves complex operations to restore appearance and function in patients with facial deformities or head and neck cancers (face, nose, jaw, throat).
Areas of interest
Facial palsy, facelift, necklift, rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty, chin augmentation
Current NHS consultant posts held
Guyâ€™s and St Thomasâ€™ NHS Foundation Trust
Patient reported outcomes; acute facial reinnervation in head and neck cancer
Family, wilderness expeditions, fly-fishing, rugby, music
2012 Harry Morton Fellowship Award
2005 Journal of Hand Surgery Prize (Best paper presented at the BSSH Meeting)
2005 Royal College of Surgeons (England) Research Fellowship
2005 Research grant, Dunhill Medical Trust
2000 Brasenose College Paediatrics Prize
1997 Exhibition in Medical Tripos, Clare College, Cambridge
1996 Scholarship, Clare College, Cambridge
PUBLICATIONS (10 most recent papers)
1. W.A. Townley, E. Mah, A.C. Oâ€™Neill, J.S. Wunder, P.C. Ferguson, T. Zhong, S.O.P. Hofer. Reconstruction of sarcoma defects following pre-operative radiation - free tissue transfer is safe and reliable. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2013 Nov;66(11):1575-9
2. O. Lotter, S. Stahl, W.A. Townley, S. Hoefert, H.E. Schaller, A. Amr. Reimbursement for tissue reconstruction by pedicled and free flaps across five European countries. The importance of autologous breast reconstruction. Minerva Chir. 2013 Apr;68(2):129-37.
3. O. Lotter, S. Stahl, J.L. Schiefer, W.A. Townley, H.E. Schaller, P. Jaminet. A European comparison of reimbursement in breast reconstruction. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013 Mar;39(3):273-8.
4. S.J. Maciburko, W.A. Townley, K. Hollowood, H. P. Giele. Skin cancers of the hand: a series of 541 malignancies. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Feb 9. [Epub ahead of print].
5. W.A. Townley, E.C. Royston, N. Karmiris, A. Crick, R.L.R. Dunn. Critical Assessment Of The Anterolateral Thigh Flap Donor Site. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011 Dec;64(12):1621-6.
6. P. Dâ€™Agostino, W.A. Townley, D. Le Viet, E. Roulot. Oblique Ulnar Styloid Osteotomy - a Treatment for Ulnar Styloid Impaction Syndrome. J Hand Surg Am. 2011 Nov;36(11):1785-9.
7. U. Sarwar, W.A. Townley, M. Nicolau, M.S. Khan. Endgames â€“ cutaneous malignant melanoma. BMJ. 2011 Sep 9; 343: d5375.
8. W.A Townley, C. Urbanaska, R.L.R. Dunn, U. Khan. Costs and coding â€“ free flap reconstruction in lower limb trauma. Injury. 2011; 42(4): 381-4.
9. A.A. Khan, D. Furniss, S. Jay, W.A Townley, E. West, A.J.P. Clover. Prospective analysis of waiting times for emergency Plastic Surgery in four units. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011 Jul;64(7):873-7.
10. W.A. Townley, D.Q.A. Nguyen, J.C. Rooker, J.K. Dickson, D.Z. Goroszeniuk, M.S. Khan, D. Camp. Management of Open Tibial Fractures â€“ A Regional Experience. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010
Free flap success 99%
- FRCS (Plast) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2012
- MD University College London 2008
- MA University of Cambridge 2002
- BM BCh University of Oxford 2001
- Microsurgery Fellowship University of Toronto 2012
Reference number 6031372
Details of entry to specialist register
- Plastic Surgery , 2013
Affiliations / memberships
Facial Palsy UK
- 9 Harley Street Limited, W1G 9QY
- 16:00 - 20:00
- 020 3124 1373
- London Bridge Hospital, SE1 2PR
- 15:00 - 19:00
- 020 3124 1373
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
0203 124 1373 - 8am-6pm
0207 1887188 (Plastic Surgeon on-call) 6pm-8am
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: williamtownleyplasticsurgeon