- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Not in Open Referral network
- Foot & Ankle
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Ranjith has experience of dealing with most conditions of the lower limb, with a special interest in knee surgery.
Professional interests: Knee Surgery - Knee replacement surgery including patient specific replacements, robotic surgery, partial replacements and revision knee surgery, Arthroscopy, sports injury, ACL reconstruction.
Mr Ranjith did his postgraduate training in England (Liverpool, Bournemouth, Harrogate), Ireland and USA. He was awarded fellowships in Adult Spine at the Cleveland Clinic, USA and Knee Surgery at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital as well as Basildon & Thurrock University Hospitals. Mr Ranjith was awarded a travelling fellowship which took him to centres of excellence in Germany in 2008.
Areas of interest
Joint replacements including bespoke replacement, robotic surgery, partial replacements and revision knee surgery, Arthroscopy, sports injury.
Ligament reconstruction including anterior cruciate ligament; Arthroscopy of Hip, Knee and Ankle, Foot surgery; Ankle surgery; Lower limb trauma
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Gursharan Paul Singh Bawa Fee Assured
- Dr Dinesh Sangtani Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon,
Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals
â€¢ Use of stem cells to treat osteochondral defects.
â€¢ Cartilage Regeneration Techniques
â€¢ PRP Injections for tendinopathy and acute Achilles ruptures
â€¢ Exogen treatment for delayed union of fractures.
â€¢ Comparative analysis of lateral retinacular release rates and flexion gap symmetry using different methods of Total Knee Arthroplasty
Photography, Painting, Angling, Table Tennis.
German Orthopaedic Fellowship awarded for being the highest scoring candidate in the SICOT Examination 2007-2008.
Staff Recognition Award 2014, Certificate of Excellence for Postgraduate Education and Training 2014 for being voted as Postgraduate Trainer of the Year
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Malayalam - Native or bilingual
- Bengali - Fluent
- Hindi - Conversational
1. â€¢Vertebral Corpectomy for Thoracic Tumour/ Infection by Robert.F.McLain , Ranjith.R.Kuzhupilly
Chapter (20, Section II) in Surgical Techniques of the Spine (Ed.- Thomas.R.Haher & Andrew Merola), published by Thieme Medical Publishers Inc.
2. â€¢Developmental Spinal Anatomy by Ranjith.R.Kuzhupilly, Gordon.R.Bell
Chapter in Principles and Practice of Spine Surgery (Ed.- Vaccaro, Betz & Ziedman), published by Mosby (Elsevier)
1. â€¢ 3D-CT volume rendering techniques in Endoscopic Thoracoplasty by Isador Lieberman, Ranjith.R.Kuzhupilly, William Davros, Mary Kay Reinhardt, The Spine Journal 1(2001) pp 390-394
2. â€¢In vitro stability of FRA spacers with integrated crossed screws for anterior lumbar interbody fusion by Ranjith.R.Kuzhupilly, I.H.Lieberman, R.F.McLain, A.Valdevit, H.Kambic, published in The Spine May 1, 2002; Vol 27, No 9, pp 923-928
3. â€¢Hangman's fracture caused by suspected child abuse: a case report by Ranjith.R.K, J.H.Mullett, T.Burke, published in the Journal of Paediatric Orthpaedics B Oct 2002;11(4), pp 329-32
4. â€¢Total knee replacement following high tibial osteotomy by Madan.S, Ranjith.R.K, Fiddian.N.J, published in the Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 2002-2003;61(1-2),pp 5-10
5. â€¢Intermediate follow-up of high tibial osteotomy: a comparison of two techniques by Madan.S, Ranjith.R.K, Fiddian.N.J, published in the Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 2002-2003;61(1-2), pp 11-6
6. â€¢Optimising femoral component rotation using Equiflex instrumentation â€“ a clinical review by Ranjith.R.Kuzhupilly, Ilias Seferiadis, Iain.A.C.Lennox in Int Orthopaedics (electronically pub March,2007,paperJune 2008,Vol.32,No.345-53)
7. â€¢Restarting Elective Orthopaedic Surgery During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Lessons Learned by Anuhya Vusirikala, Marwan Saleh, Edward Laurent, Tessa del Castillo, Ranjith R Kuzhupilly, Amr Fahmy, Dimitrios Tsekes in Cureus. 2021 Jul; 13(7): e16343. Published online 2021 Jul 12. doi: 10.7759/cureus.16343
1. â€¢Impaction Grafting - A look at the initial structural integrity: an in vitro analysis of two techniques by R.K.Ranjith
Published as a thesis for the MSc. In Orthopaedic Engineering at Cardiff University.
2. â€¢Comparative analysis of lateral retinacular release rates and felxion gap symmetry using different methods of Total Knee Arthroplasty by R.K.Ranjith published as thesis for the MCh Orthopaedics at Edge Hill University
Courses offered to GPs
1) GP Learning Programme
Inflammatory and osteoarthritis â€“ Lower Limb
2) Knee pain in general practice
3) Examination and Injection techniques in the Lower Limb
- FRCS Trauma and Orthopaedics Royal College of Surgeons of England 2007
- MSc Orthopaedic Engineering Cardiff University 1997
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 1994
- MBBS Calcutta University 1990
- MSc Health Science and Clinical Practice (Orthopaedics) University of Central Lancashire 2009
- Fellow European Board of Orthopaedics and Traumatology European Board of Orthopaedics and Traumatology 2009
- Dip SICOT Societe Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopaedique et de Traumatologie 2007
- MCh Orthopaedics Edge Hill University 2012
- Knee Fellowship Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital 2005
- Knee Fellowship Royal Bournemouth Hospital 1998
Reference number 4244662
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member BASK 2022
- Member British Orthopaedic Association 2016
- Associate Clinical Advisor Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery , 2010
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Kerry Crowder- 07901693162
Nuffield Brentwood Hospital- 01277 889230
Spire Wellesley Hopsital- 01702 462944
Spire Hartswood Hospital- 01277 232525
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Injection(s) +/- aspiration, into joint, cyst, bursa - unilateral - (1-5)
Examination/ manipulation of joint under general anaesthetic +/- injection +/- arthrogram (as sole procedure) - (1-5)
Spire Hartswood Hospital (1-5)
Primary total hip replacement +/- cement - (1-5)
Total prosthetic replacement of knee joint, +/- cement, +/- patella - (1-5)
Spire Hartswood Hospital (1-5)