- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Hand & Wrist
- Shoulder & Elbow
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Auplish obtained his medical degree from Guy’s and St.Thomas’ Hospitals in London, and trained to become an Orthopaedic Surgeon on the Oxford training programme. During this time, he found the treatment of shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand conditions particularly rewarding, and was inspired to become an upper limb surgeon.
Mr Auplish was privileged to perform complex open and arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery of these joints during his Fellowship at Wrightington Hospital in Lancashire, the internationally famous Centre of Excellence for Upper Limb Surgery.
Mr Auplish was awarded the prestigious British Elbow and Shoulder Society Travelling Fellowship, and has also been awarded the European Diploma of Hand Surgery. In 2013 he was nominated for a BHR Pride award (Queens Hospital) for Outstanding Patient Care.
After having spent several years in Essex, Mr Auplish was delighted to become a Consultant in York Hospital in 2017. Since moving he has been nominated for a STAR award (for exceptional patient care above and beyond the call of duty).
Areas of interest
Open and arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery of the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand
-Rotator cuff tendon tears
-Instability / dislocations
-Frozen shoulder / stiffness
- Elbow arthritis
- Tennis/golfers elbow
- Elbow stiffness
- Elbow instability
Wrist and Hand
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Finger contractures (Dupuytren’s disease)
-Base of thumb arthritis
- Arthritis of the wrist and fingers including rheumatoid arthritis
- Stiff fingers
- Ganglions/lumps and bumps at the wrist and hand
- Clicking/ Trigger finger
- Tendon rupture or irritation/inflammation
- Complex problems that have been difficult to diagnose
- Nerve entrapments at the elbow, forearm and hand causing pins and needles
- Sporting injuries
- Hyperlaxity (double-jointedness)
- Overuse pain and injury including occupational problems
- Pain and weakness in musicians including tendonitis – classical, rock, pop, world music and jazz, all instruments
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Shoulder, elbow, hand and wrist specialist at York Hospitals NHS Trust
Arthroscopic Surgical Skill Training
Rotator Cuff Disease
Nerve anatomy in the hand
Playtime with three young children!
Playing piano, drums and guitar (electric and flamenco).
Avid follower of Formula 1
Nominated for STAR award (York Hospital) for Outstanding Patient Care 2017
Nominated for BHR Pride Award (Queens Hospital) for Outstanding Patient Care 2013
British Shoulder and Elbow Society Travelling Fellowship 2011
Girdlestone Scholarship (Oxford) 2007
Courses offered to GPs
I have given talks on all aspects of shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand disease and also regularly lecture GP trainees on their training programme.
I have outcomes on the National Joint Registry for my shoulder and elbow arthroplasty work.
I used an electronic patient record system to analysis my surgical outcomes for the year 2015-16 and presented this methods and these results at the British Surgical Society for the Hand.
I have recently repeated this audit for the 2018-2019 surgical year and again reported excellent results.
- MBBS (Medical degree) Guys and St Thomas' Hospitals 1997
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS) The Royal College of Surgeons of England 2006
- BSc (Hons) - First Class Honours University of London 1995
- MSc (Oxon) University of Oxford 2009
- European Diploma of Hand Surgery Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand 2013
- Certification in Essentials of Perfoming Arts medicine Performing Arts Medical Association 2018
- European Travelling Fellowship - awarded by competitive interview British Elbow and Shoulder Society 2011
Reference number 4429229
Affiliations / memberships
British Orthopaedic Association
Royal College of Surgeons of England
British Elbow and Shoulder Society
British Society for Surgery of the Hand
British Association for Performing Arts Medicine
- Clifton Park Hospital
- 08:30 - 12:30
- 07956 330082
- York Nuffield Hospital
- 17:30 - 20:00
- 07956 330082
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Nursing staff on the ward at Clifton Park/Nuffield Hospitals
Clifton Park Hospital: 01904 464550
Nuffield Hospital: 01904 715000
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Carpal tunnel release (open) - (5-50)
Injection(s) +/- aspiration, into joint, cyst, bursa - unilateral - (5-50)
Fusion of digit joint(s) of hand +/- graft & +/- internal fixation - (1-5)
Dupuytren's fasciectomy single digit with proximal interphalangeal joint - (1-5)
Tendon transfer of hand - single - (1-5)
- Show All (12 )...