- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Not in Open Referral network
- Head & neck oncology
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Yakubu Karagama is a highly experienced, qualified and caring Ear, Nose and Throat Consultant and Laryngologist at the Guy's & St Thomas' Hospital London. He leads the multidisciplinary specialist voice clinic at Guy's & St Thomas' Hospital London
Mr Karagama specialises in general adult and children Ear, Nose and Throat problems but in addition he has a special interest in professional voice problems and nasal and sinus problems.
He is a very experienced ENT Surgeon with high international professional recognition due to his role in lecturing and training young surgeons. He has been invited as key note speaker internationally on so many occasion.
He is a frontier in promoting and developing new surgical techniques to help patients
He is the founder and course director for Manchester Phonosurgery course www.phonosurgerycourse.com, is keen in voice research and obtained an MSc in Advance Voice Research at the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 2005. Mr Karagama has presented his research and won prizes at national and international conferences, including the North of England Otolaryngological Society, the Royal Society of Medicine and the British Association Conference of Otolaryngologists (BACO). He has authored and co-authored over 50 publications, is an Honorary Senior Lecturer at both University of Manchester and Edge Hill Universities and a council member of the British Laryngological Association and British Voice Association and an Honorary Fellow at the Royal Northern College of Music Manchester. He was the first Secretary of the British Laryngological Society established in 2011
Areas of interest
• Hoarse voice
• Vocal cord nodules
• Vocal cord polyps
• vocal cord paralysis
• vocal cord haemorrhage
• Vocal cord cyst
• Pitch voice problems
• Functional dysphonia
• Vocal cord injection
• Spasmodic dysphonia
• Botox injection vocal cords
• Laryngeal papilloma
• Polypvac surgery
• Nasal polyps
• Blocked Nose
• Sinus Problems
• Laser UVPP
• Sleep Disorder
• Smell & Taste
• Facial pain & Headache
• Ear infection
• Ear Drum Perforations
• Ear Infections
• Hearing Loss
• Tinnitus /Noise in the ear
• Lump in Throat
• Swallowing Difficulties
• Transnasal oesophagoscopy
- Jo Bird
- Circle Health Group The Alexandra Hospital Mill Lane Cheadle SK8 2PX
- 07876 616015
Anaesthetists worked with
- British Laryngological Association
- Guy's & St Thomas' Hospital London
- Ears Nose and Throat
- Voice disorders-Voice Doctor
- Honorary Fellow Royal Northern College of Music Manchester
Current NHS consultant posts held
Guy's & St Thomas' Hospital, London
North England Otolaryngological Society Research & Paper presentation
British Rhinological Society Meeting Paper Presentation
Munro Black best research presentation Northeast ENT meeting
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hausa - Native or bilingual
PEER-REVIEWED PAPERS PUBLISHED
1. The trumpet player with a swelling in the neck. Edmiston R, Hariri A, Karagama Y.
BMJ Case Rep. 2015 Mar 20;2015
2. An isolated mid-facial swelling: a cause for an otolaryngology referral? Killick N, Robinson J, Karagama Y.Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2014 Feb;75(2):112-3.
3. Chin lift: a simple but effective novel method of fiberoptic laryngoscopy in the clinic. Edmiston R, Karagama Y. Clin Otolaryngol. 2013 Oct;38(5):445-7
4. Hoarseness secondary to haemodialysis: case report and literature review. Santhirakumar M, Phua CQ, Karagama Y.
J Laryngol Otol. 2012 Aug;126(8):867-9
5. Sequential cohort study comparing chlorine dioxide wipes with automated washing for decontamination of flexible naendoscopes. Phua CQ, Mahalingappa Y, Karagama Y.J Laryngol Otol. 2012 Aug;126(8):809-14
6. An unusual case of a tonsillolith. Chan J, Rashid M, Karagama Y. Case Report Med. 2012;2012:587503. Epub 2012 Apr 17.
7. Study of microbial spread when using multiple-use nasal anaesthetic spray. Rashid M, Karagama YG. Rhinology. 2011 Aug;49(3):281-5.
8. Intranasal delivery of drugs to eustachian tube orifice. Karagama YG, Rashid M, Lancaster JL, Karkanevatos A, William RS. J Laryngol Otol. 2011 Sep;125(9):934-9. Epub 2011 Jul 12
9. Inflation of Foley catheters for postnasal packing. Rashid M, Karagama Y. J Laryngol Otol. 2010 Sep;124(9):997-8. Epub 2010 Apr 14
10. Short-term voice quality results following percutaneous medialisation of the paralysed vocal cord under local anaesthesia using calcium hydroxyapatite gel: How we do it. Y. Karagama, A. Hurren, P. Carding, L. Lindsey. Pg 362-366. Vol 33. number 4 August 2008
11. J Laryngol Otol. 2006 Oct;120(10):842-4. Epub 2006 May 19. Doshi J, Karagama Y, Buckley D, Johnson I. Observational study of bone-anchored hearing aid infection rates using different post-operative dressings.
12. J Laryngol Otol. 2005 Sep;119(9):727-8.Thomas L, Karagama YG, Watson C. Avoiding alar necrosis with post-nasal packs.
13. Rhinology. 2005 Jun; Karagama YG, Anari S, Lancaster JL, Karkanevatos A, Jones TM, Sherman IW. Conservative management of epistaxis: are we putting patients at risk of developing venous thromboembolic complications?
14. Ear Nose Throat J. 2005 Apr;84(4):216, 218.Karagama YG, Bridges LR, van Hille PT. Angioleiomyoma of the internal auditory meatus: a rare occurrence in the internal auditory canal.
Courses offered to GPs
Management of sinusitis
- FRCS (ORL-H&N) Royal College of Surgeons, England 2007
- MSc advance voice Research University of Newcastle UK 2005
- Postgraduate Certificate in Medical education Edge Hill University 2015
Reference number 4784524
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Council Member British Laryngological Association 2019
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC , 2007
Affiliations / memberships
British Laryngological Association
British Rhinological Society
British Voice Association
British Facial Plastic Association
European Laryngological Society
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Diagnostic endoscopy of sinus and bilateral (as sole procedure) - (5-50)
Therapeutic endoscopic operation on pharynx - (5-50)
Injection into larynx - (5-50)
Suction clearance of middle ear (as sole procedure) - (5-50)
Alexandra Hospital (5-50)
Fibre optic examination of the pharynx +/- biopsy/removal of foreign body - (5-50)
- Show All (14 )...