- Not Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Pre-hospital emergency medicine
Professor Deakin qualified from Cambridge University in 1988 and completed his higher medical training in London and Bristol before transferring to Southampton in 1994, where he was appointed to his current clinical post of Consultant in Cardiac Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, University Hospital Southampton in 1999.
He also holds an Honorary Chair at the University of Southampton where he is Professor of Resuscitation and Prehospital Emergency Medicine.
Professor Deakin's academic interests are focused on cardiac anaesthesia and intensive care, pre-hospital trauma and resuscitation. He has published extensively in these areas and is a regular speaker at national and international meetings. He chaired the Advanced Life Support (ALS) Committee of the European Resuscitation Council from 2001-2012 and was ALS co-chair of the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation for the 2005 and 2010 resuscitation guidelines revisions. He is a member of the Executive Committee of the Resuscitation Council (UK) and is lead for adult resuscitation for the Joint Royal Colleges Ambulance Liaison Committee, which sets the standards for paramedic practice.
Professor Deakin founded the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance where he is the clinical lead, and also chairs the RNLI's Medical Committee.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant in Cardiac Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, University Hospital Southampton.
Divisional Medical Director, South Central Ambulance Service.
Cardiac anaesthesia and intensive care
Visiting Professor. Faculty of Health and Medical Science, University of Surrey.
Honorary Professor of Resuscitation and Pre-hospital Emergency Medicine. University of Southampton.
Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal 2002
Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal 2012
1. Deakin CD. Clinical Notes for the FRCA. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
• First Edition Published Nov 1996
• Second Edition Published Sept 2000
• Third Edition Published March 2011
2. Deakin CD. Adult and Paediatric Advanced Life Support: Self-assessment in Resuscitation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
• First Edition Published Nov 2012
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
Please copy and past the following link to your browser:
- MB BChir University of Cambridge 1988
- MA University of Cambridge 1989
- FRCA Royal College of Anaesthetists 1994
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians 2004
- FFICM Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine 2011
- FERC European Resuscitation Council 2010
Reference number 3295076
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chair, Advanced Life Support Committee European Resuscitation Council 2010
- Executive Committee Resuscitation Council, UK 2015
- Chair RNLI Medical & Survival SubCommittee 2015
Details of entry to specialist register
- Anaesthetics , 1999
- Spire Southampton Hospital, SO16 6UY
- 08:00 - 20:00
- 07730 035446
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
07730 035 446