- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
I am a children's and adult orthopaedic surgeon and have been a consultant since January 2004. I specialise in clubfoot, hip dysplasia, limb deformity and other general aspects of childen's orthopaedics. In my adult practice I specialise in young adult hip pain, using techniques such as hip arthroscopy and periacetabular pelvic osteotomy.
Areas of interest
• Paediatric orthopaedics ; Hip disorders;Deformity correction;Forefoot reconstruction; Limb reconstruction; Children's orthopaedics; Young adult hip disorders;Hip arthroscopy; Periacetabular osteotomy;Pelvic osteotomy;Clinical negligence;Personal injury
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital
Developmental dysplasia of the hip
• Late dislocation of the hip following normal neonatal clinical and ultrasound examination.
Jaiswal A, Starks I, Kiely NT. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010 Oct;92(10):
• The role of community screening for developmental dysplasia of the hip at the 8-month baby check.
Cooke SJ, Kiely NT. Child Care Health Dev. 2011 Jan;37(1):1-4.
• Current management of clubfoot (congenital talipes equinovarus).
Bridgens J, Kiely N.
BMJ. 2010 Feb 2;340:c355. doi: 10.1136/bmj.c355.
• Ossification of the femoral head at closed reduction for developmental dysplasia of the hip and its influence on the long-term outcome
Cooke, Stephen J.; Rees, Robin; Edwards, Dai L.; Kiely, Nigel T.; Evans, Gwyn A.
Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B:
January 2010 - Volume 19 - Issue 1 - pp 22-26
S J Cooke, B Balain, C Kerin, N.T. Kiely
Current Orthopaedics, Volume 22, Issue 2, April 2008, Pages 139-149
SJ Parsons, C Barton, R Banerjee, N T. Kiely
• Slipped upper femoral epiphysis
Current Orthopaedics, Volume 21, Issue 3, June 2007, Pages 215-228
• Ponseti treatment in the management of clubfoot deformity - a continuing role for paediatric orthopaedic services in secondary care centres.
Docker CE, Lewthwaite S, Kiely NT.
Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2007 Jul;89(5):510-2.
• The ferguson medial approach for open reduction of developmental dysplasia of the hip. A clinical and radiological review of 49 hips.
Kiely N, Younis U, Day JB, Meadows TM.
J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004 Apr;86(3):430-3.
• Does temporary clamping of drains following knee arthroplasty reduce blood loss? A randomised controlled trial.
Kiely N, Hockings M, Gambhir A.
Knee. 2001 Dec;8(4):325-7.
• Mechanical properties of different combinations of flexible nails in a model of a pediatric femoral fracture.
J Pediatr Orthop. 2002 Jul-Aug;22(4):424-7.
Courses offered to GPs
i am happy to arrange talks on children's orthopaedics or young adult hip disorders
- FRCS ( Trauma and orthopaedics) Intercollegiate board, UK 2001
- MSc Orthopaedic engineering Cardiff University 2000
Reference number 3276293
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and orthopaedics , 2003
Affiliations / memberships
British Medical Assoiciation
British Society Children's Orthopaedics
British Limb Reconstruction Society
International society of Hip Arthroscopy
British Orthopaedic Association
- Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic...
- 13:30 - 18:00
- 01691 404376
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details