- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Video and telephone consultations
I am a consultant gastroenterologist and specialist endoscopist at St Mark’s Hospital, Harrow, an internationally recognised centre of excellence for intestinal disorders and endoscopy. I am the clinical lead for endoscopy and my specialist interests include general and luminal gastroenterology, diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, bowel cancer prevention & screening endoscopy (nationally accredited bowel cancer screening colonoscopist), video capsule endoscopy, double-balloon enteroscopy, inflammatory bowel disease and small bowel diseases.
In 2007 I was awarded a Cancer Research UK Clinical Research Fellowship, and gained a PhD in 2012 from University College, London for my research into the biology of gastrointestinal tumours. My current academic interests include the evolution of pre-cancerous growths within the gut and the diagnosis and treatment of small bowel diseases.
Having qualified from Imperial College Medical School in 2002, I undertook my specialist gastroenterology training within London from 2005-2013. I then completed a fellowship in advanced and small bowel endoscopy at St Mark’s Hospital before being appointed to the Consultant staff in 2014.
Areas of interest
General & luminal gastroenterology; diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy; colonoscopy and polypectomy; bowel cancer screening & prevention (nationally accredited screening colonoscopist); video capsule endoscopy; double balloon enteroscopy; inflammatory bowel disease; small bowel diseases
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Matthew Andrew Clayton Fee Assured
- Dr Aynkaran Dharmarajah Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Gastroenterologist and Specialist Endoscopist, St Mark's Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow HA1 3UJ
Small bowel endoscopy; evolution of pre-cancerous lesions in the gastrointestinal tract.
Skiing, running, biking.
- Cancer Research UK Clinical Research Fellowship (2007)
Original Research Papers:
- Multicentre prospective study of COVID-19 transmission following outpatient GI endoscophy in the UK. Hayee et al. Gut. 2020.
- Systematic review with meta-analysis: IBD-associated colonic dysplasia prognosis in the videoendoscopic era (1990-present). Kabir et al. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2020.
- Faecal haemoglobin can define risk of colorectal neoplasia at surveillance colonoscopy in patients at increased risk of colorectal cancer. Digby et al. United European Gastroenterol J. 2020.
- Single incision laparoscopic assisted double balloon enteroscopy: a novel technique to manage small bowel pathology. Stasinos et al. Surg Endosc 2020.
- Diagnosis and management of acute lower gastrointestinal bleeding: guidelines from the British Society of Gastroenterology. Oakland et al. Gut. 2019.
- Choi et al. Cumulative burden of inflammation predicts colorectal neoplasia risk in ulcerative colitis: a large single-centre study. Gut. 2017.
- Ding NS et al. Endoscopic Dilatation of Crohn’s Anastomotic Strcitures is Effective in the long term and escalation of medical therapy improves outcomes in the biologic era. J Crohns Colitis. 2016.
- Baker Am et al. Quantification of crypt and stem cell evolution in the normal and neoplastic human colon. Cell Rep. 2014.
- Humphries A et al. Lineage tracing reveals multi-potent stem cells maintain human adenomas and the pattern of clonal expansion tumour evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2013.
- Nicholson AM, Graham TA, Simpson A, Humphries A et al. Barrett’s metaplasia glands are clonal, contain multiple stem cells and share a common squamous progenitor. Gut. 2012.
- Graham TA, Humphries A et al. Use of Methylation Patterns to Determine Expansion of Stem Cell Clones in Human Colon Tissue. Gastroenterology 2011.
- Lin WR et al. The Histogenesis of Regenerative Nodules in Human Liver Cirrhosis. Hepatology. 2010.
- Fellous TG, McDonald SA, Burkert J, Humphries A et al. A methodological approach to tracing cell lineage in human epithelial tissues. Stem Cells. 2009.
- Humphries A, Wright NA. Colonic crypt organisation and tumorigenesis. Nature Rev Cancer. 2008.
Courses offered to GPs
- Diagnosis and treatment of small bowel diseases
- The role of primary care in managing inflammatory bowel disease
- Bowel cancer screening
- IBS vs IBD
- Colorectal polyps
National Bowel Cancer Screening Colonoscopy Audit Data for 2020
- colonoscopy completion rate: 97%
- adenoma detection rate: 86.84%
- mean adenoma detection: 2.93
- Mean negative withdrawal time: 10 minutes
- % procedures with no or minimal discomfort: 100%
- Post polypectomy bleeding: 0%
- Perforation rate: 0%
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians, London 2018
- MBBS Imperial College School of Medicine 2002
- BSc Imperial College School of Medicine 1999
- PhD University College London 2012
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians, London 2005
- Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship St Mark's Hospital 2013
Reference number 6053542
Details of entry to specialist register
- Gastroenterology , 2013
- General Internal Medicine , 2013
Affiliations / memberships
British Society of Gastroenterology; Royal College of Physicians; MDDUS.
- 41-43 Welbeck StreetLondonW1G 8DU
- 13:30 - 19:30
- 020 7616 7645
- The London Clinic 20 Devonshire Place LONDON...
- 09:30 - 12:30
- 020 7616 7645
- The Princess Grace Hospital, 42-52 Nottingham...
- 09:00 - 12:30
- 020 7616 7645
- Wolfson Unit for EndoscopySt Mark's...
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 020 7616 7645
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
020 7616 7645
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
IV sedation administered by operator - (>50)
Diagnostic colonoscopy, includes forceps biopsy of colon and ileum - (5-50)
Diagnostic oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (OGD) includes forceps biopsy, biopsy urease test and dye spray - (5-50)
Diagnostic oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (OGD) and immediate colonoscopy includes forceps biopsies, biopsy test and dye spray (as sole procedure) - (5-50)
Double balloon enteroscopy - (1-5)
Northwick Park Hospital (1-5)
- Show All (9 )...